Powering off PC from XP

M

mefast

I was wondering how to configure my PC so the computer powers
off when I shut down XP. Currently I get a message telling me its
safe to shut my computer off, I must hold the power button in
for approximately 7 second then the power is switched off.

Is this normal behavior for XP? In Win 98SE when I shut down it closed windoze and shut power off.

Any help appreciated.

mefast

power off

I got this message too.

I took the board out and put it in another case and it closed down propperly. So, I figured it was something to do with the case.

Looks like it is gonna be a common problem with XP.

There has got to be a solution though.

Sorry, I cant help.

But u are not alone

u must enable Advanced Power Management..right click on desktop>properties>sceen saver>power>APM, enable it...if u dont have APM, then u have ACPI which is much better and it should shut down, but u have a major problem...

Go to the control panel
Power options
APM and Enable Advanced Power Management support

If you do not see the APM tab, then make sure you have APM enabled in the bios, is a bit strange as it was disabled (ie the checkbox was clear) on every fresh install of XP that I have performed.

Your case and mb must support ATX power supply, which allows it to use APM and autoshutof and softpower on

also depends if your BIOS is complient with apm/acpi
make sure latest updates are in

sad thing is usually if you update the bios in such a big change like acpi compatibility, you will have to reinstall =/

Thanks for all the suggestions. The fix was supplied by Electronic
Punk

<<Go to the control panel
<<Power options
<<APM and Enable Advanced Power Management support

<<If you do not see the APM tab, then make sure you have APM <<enabled in the bios, is a bit strange as it was disabled (ie the <<checkbox was clear) on every fresh install of XP that I have <<performed.

Thank you much!

--mefast

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back