PowerDVD XP and enabling DMA

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by ray_gillespie, Mar 21, 2002.

1. ray_gillespie

ray_gillespie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone can help me to enable DMA on my Pioneer DVD-ROM drive in windows XP. I used to use windows ME and I had no problems enabling DMA on this and my DVDs used to run brilliantly. Now however, when I try to enable DMA using the PowerDVD diagnostic program it says it will enable it but after restarting it just asks me if I want to enable it and won't turn it on. I tried turning it on through windows but it seems stuck on PIO mode or something, even though I selected Use DMA Where Possible or whatever. I've tried using both WinDVD and PowerDVD in windows XP and neither give a decent performance. I've even installed PowerDVD 4.0 XP and that's the same. If anyone could help me I would much appreciate it.
    Thanks!

2. ray_gillespie

ray_gillespie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Solved!!

Hi,
    To anyone that's got a similar problem, I found a forum with information on how to fix it. It works a treat now, here's how:

In Regedit go to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11C
    E-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001 or 0002

0001 is Primary IDE, 0002 is Secondary IDE

Select the one your problem drive is on. If the drive is the Master, delete
    the key "MasterIdDataChecksum". If the drive is the Slave, delete the key
    "SlaveIdDataChecksum".

Exit Regedit and reboot. XP should now recognize the DMA capabilty of the drive. All done!!!!

3. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team