Power Supply Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by shokpin, Apr 17, 2003.

1. shokpin

shokpin OSNN Junior Addict

hey everyone, I was hoping for some suggestions on power supply size for a new system a friend has built

Leadtek WinFast K7NCR18D-Pro mobo
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+
    ATI Radeon 9500 Pro (128meg)
    512meg DDR 333mhz

Originally he had only 250w supply (from his old case) and the boot process wouldnt go beyond memory check.

He then went to Circuit City and they convinced him 300w was enough. The system now boots, but the graphics are completely garbled.

Is 300w enough for this system (my guess is no).

And would that be the cause of the garbled screen?
    Its all distorted, with random color blocks, shifting parts, random characters, missing blocks, etc.

It still runs ok, as in it can boot, and I can go into bios (havent loaded an OS yet) and move things around (cant actually see anything though)

2. shokpin

no cd-roms
    tried w/o hard drive

graphics card was working before we swapped out his mobo/proc for the new ones
  3. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

as always my recommandation comes with a pic' . :)
    Yes , you should consider 350W minimum for your system ( I have too ) - problem caused by vidcard
  4. shokpin

thanks for the spiffy power supply pic

ok, just switched out my GeForce 3 w/his Radeon

the GeF3 worked fine in his comp
    the Radeon did was having same prob in my system

card must have gone bad
    odd though, because it was working up to switching out the mobo/proc

i'll get a RMA going for him

ok, 350w should probably be bare min for his system?

The Leadtek mobo
    ATI Radeon 9500 Pro
    512 DDR
    2 hard drives
    1 DVD drive
    1 CDRW drive
    Sound Card
    PCI Firewire ports

[edits are fun!!]
  5. RagnaroK

RagnaroK Must be dreaming...

I don't think that there are actual combatibility problems between nForce2 and ATI based cards... I think it's just a random stroke of bad luck... though I'm not entirely sure of the facts.
    And I agree with Cosmin, no less than 350W PSU! :cool:
  6. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

Sacramento, CA
    the more watts, the merrier. :p

350 or more is good. figure that a bigger one (400w or so) will allow for future power-hungry video cards and processors. not to mention extra harddrives, optical drives, pci cards that he might add later. all while keeping his voltages in line.
  7. leedogg

leedogg Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!

you spend all that money for high end components and put a crappy power supply in there?? get an antec, sparkle or (my preference and recommendation) an Enermax. I would get a 400 watt or higher. Why? because it will probably outlast the rest of your computer when you upgrade.

ps. I wouldnt be surprised if the ****ty ps ruined your video card.
  8. shokpin

sittin here blaming me!!?!?!

it is a friend, and he went against everyone's advice to get 350w+.

like i said, he went to circuit city and got conned into the 300w

but would a small power supply really screw the vid card up?

his old one was...whatever was in his old compaq 250w
    and the new one is an antec 300w
  9. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Fort Worth, TX
    350W if you are buying a good name brand like antec. If it's a cheap generic go for 400W.

www.tomshardwrae.com has some great pic's of burned up power supplies that never even made it near rated capacity.
  10. Arg0

Arg0 Guest

Just a footnote and I have no idea how good they are, atleast their fans are, I found a thermaltake 430 watt ps for $55, made me happy, guess we'll see how it goes when I get it. If anyone is interested I can post a link to where I got it.
  11. Gus K

Gus K NTFS abuser

It's not always about a good vs. bad PS. Sometimes a PS is just wrong for a certain configuration. A PS may work fine in a similiar rig, yet fail to work properly in another.

For the configurations you listed, a 300w Antec would appear to be an appropriate choice.

Sometimes it's a good idea to check what kind of amps the mobo is expecting on each rail, and check to see if the PS is supplying the needed amount. The +3.3V rail seems to be causing some problems these days, many newer mobo's are looking for more than the the 20A that was standard a few years back.

The newer Antec 300w PS's have a +5V and +3.3V combined (this is an important rating) output of 220w max. That's a pretty substantial number (but the +3.3V amps are only 20). With generics you would probably have to go to a 450w model to get the same output. But a newer generic may be pushing 28A on the +3.3 rail.

Memory is also very similiar, what works fine in one mobo may fail to work properly in another. It's not that the memory is bad, just wrong for certain configurations. One size does not fit all. For everyone who raves about a product, it seems someone will have problems with it.
  12. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

Sacramento, CA
    good post. thanks.
  13. lynchknot

lynchknot Moderator

I guess i'm lucky so far - stock 265 watt Sony PSU - running a Ti4400 and 2 extra fans with no problems. I don't think it's possible to replace my PSU anyway.................