Power Supply Issue??

Keshik

OSNN Addict
This one's for a buddy of mine:

Dan woke up this morning, with his computer on and working fine. Dan then went to class. When Dan got back from class, his computer was off. When Dan tried to turn his computer back on, the power button didn't do anything. Cable check, everything's plugged in. Power button still doesn't work. So Dan goes to his friend's room and hooks up his friends power supply to his computer. Now the computer turn on, but the motherboard doesn't beep or anything, and there is no video signal going to his monitor from the onboard VGA connector.

Now, I'm thinking that the powersupply went, and took the motherboard with it. The CPU is a question mark for working or not. You guy's have any other possible ideas?

Thanks,
Keshik

Well, the only way to find out is to test the individual components on another machine.

My PSU blew and took the mobo with it last yr. But I don't know which parts are still working, but I know for sure that the mobo is dead.

Does the motherboard have a power light?

My motherboard has a green led to indicate when it has power flowing through it. Thats a surefire way to tell =P

being your not getting any sort of beep codes with the new P/S, my guess would be the motherboard has gone out with it. if the cpu or ram were bad, or even the video card, and the mobo was ok, you would have been given a beep code.

do this...

disconnect everything from the board except the cpu and psu and test... if nothing comes on there is a problem with either cpu/mobo or psu...

you say that the system powered up when he connected the other psu... that implicates the psu... so put an asterisk there...

now look on your motherboard around where the cpu resides... look @ the capacitors... if they are normal that should mean it is reasnably safe... if the caps are swollen that implies there is possible damage to the board...

@ this point in time given the information you have provided it seems highly likely both the psu and mobo are dead/damaged respectively...

i would not try and use the motherboard with the other devices because if some of the caps ARE damaged there is a tendency to damage other electrical components... other components might also be damaged since he may have been using them with a faulty mobo/psu or both...

respond to this post and we'll help you troubleshoot some more...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back