Power question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Resonance, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Resonance

Resonance Guest

This really isn't XP related, but I need help.

I am getting these power ratings for my system:
    core 1.82
    +3.3v: 3.24
    +5v: 3.19
    +12v:15.54

I am concerned about the +5 and +12 rails. I am using a pretty new power supply. Are these acceptable, or is my power supply crashing?

2. Bytes Back

Bytes Back Ex Police Chief

I would say that any voltage outside of +/- 0.5volt is abnormal :(

3. Resonance

Resonance Guest

Argh!!!

I have a power tester, not an atx power test, just a regular voltmeter.

Where do I test the power supply to check the different rails?

4. Bytes Back

Bytes Back Ex Police Chief

With the board powered up, you can test through the top of the ATX connector. Just park your negative on a black wire, and run round the others and see what you get. A analogue meter is better in case it's fluctuating because digital meters dont pick this up very well.

5. MiseryQ

MiseryQ Guest

Sounds like time for a new power supply... The 12 is too high and the 3.3 is just plain,,, Well,,, bad...

Make sure the molex connector on the motherboard is tight and try it again... You may want to check the connectors and make sure its not damaged before you go buying...

6. Resonance

Resonance Guest

Thanks guys for the tips. But I beleive it to be the motherboard, if that is possible....

I bought a new power supply, got the same readings. I had the old board, same make and model ( the one I had now is a replacement, and I have not sent back the old one...) and got the same reading. Put the old power supply in the new (old) board and got the same reading. Pulled an old 250w power supply off an old computer and got the same reading. Yes, the volts did change slightly, but were basically the same through all tests.

So I am leaning towards motherboard (s). Why GW would ruin a great MSI board is beyond me.