power consumption question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by celticfan11, Jan 17, 2004.

1. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

i was wondering
    if i leave my compuer on 24/7 how do i know how much power it consumers
    or better yet how much does it cost to run a computer 24/7
    anyone know?
    any program to download to show this or anything???

2. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Depends on the computer, some are power hungry buggers, others aren't. I don't think they take that much power though, but it's best to let the machine 'sleep' if you're not really using it for a long period, no point just wasting power :)

3. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

provided you turn the monitor off when you arent using it then it will use only a minimal amount of power

4. SPeedY_B

Dependant on the monitor, they don't take a lot of power either, my chunky-CRT-of-doom only uses around 85w.

5. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

well, taking it from the point of view that you're 'only' leaving the box on... you're looking at around 95W-110W for the cpu and probably upto 200W for all other components added together (mobo; HDDs; CD/DVD; pci/agp cards; fans)

The running cost is all down to the rate that your electricity supplier sets.
    I've been asking this same question as you Celcticfan11.
    Different electricity supplier, different rates for each unit of electricity used.

Are you in the UK? If so, I think the average cost for 1 unit of electricity is around 6 pence. However, I'm not sure how much '1 unit' is in terms of kWatts.
    If anyone in the UK knows, please let me know. Hopefully it's a figure that is close to what I have thought of. :)

6. SPeedY_B

I'm in the UK and I don't have a clue, but I know a man that does.. I'll ask later ;)

I know a fella called Jason though who ran a server (not a real server, just a box, no monitor, basic components) and he turned it off for a month, saved $80 on electricity :eek:

(edit) forgot to mention, that was in Texas.. dunno what rates electricity is over there, but $80 isn't a bad saving :)

7. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

LOL. I think I'll post a vote for this topic. ;)

8. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

That doesn't sound right. Last time I actually paid for electricity, my total bill was rarely over $75, and that was with having electric heat. I mean it could be possilbe if he had a really, really inefficient water cooling system, but even then, I doubt it.