Port Forwarding Problems

Discussion in 'Windows Server Systems' started by kcnychief, Mar 25, 2008.

1. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

I'm setting up a new network and having problems getting in through RDP. The ISP has a business class router/modem that has an IP of 10.1.10.1, and from that I have a Linksy RVS 4000 that has 10.1.10.12 for WAN and 192.168.1.1 for LAN. I want to forward the necessary ports to 192.168.1.15, but can't seem to get through. I know they are on different subnets really, and I thought forwarding from 10.1.10.1 to 10.1.10.12 and then from that LAN IP of the device to 192.168.1.15

How would I go about this really, or should I just try to ditch the vendor modem since it's crap anyway?

2. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Ditch the Linksys router. I can't stand Linksys gear.

3. kcnychief

Be that as it may, that doesn't solve my problem :D I actually like Linksys, have always had good luck with them.

I think I'm going to contact Comcast per Matt's offline suggestion and request a modem only. Problem solved.

4. X-Istence

It would solve your problem. You would not be doing double NAT and double forwarding.

5. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

I give good advice.

6. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Not to steal the thread but....

Which do you recommend?

7. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Chief Did you remember to set the port triggers?

Zombie I've run Dlink (3 years wireless), Linksys (10 years wired, finally died of old age), Netgear (wired, just installed) and all have been fine. On the wireless which one has the best range seems to change by model. The Dlink has good range with a decent receiving NIC. Now with NIC's I've seen major variation by brand.

8. kcnychief

Now that I think of it, actually switched to DLINK for myself recently since I wanted an N router. Tried a few Linksys routers but felt they were over-priced and slow. I'm using the DIR-655 atm and works great :) Wanted a cost effective and fast wifi router for N with a gigabit switch

I did not set the port triggers, how would that work exactly?

9. X-Istence

D-Link DIR-615.

Linksys hardware is not bad, just the firmware. So if you have something that is supported by the OpenWRT or DD-WRT projects I would flash it immediately, and have a lot of added functionality.

10. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

tomato aint a bad firmware either