Pop up stoppers

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by dreamliner77, May 21, 2002.

1. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Red Sox Nation
    Allright, I need advice on the best (free) pop up stoppers.
  2. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

New York
    SMASHER is awesome, not free, but awesome anyway. And for a small fee you get life time updates. This is one program I am glad I paid for.

Besides 'smashing' popups, it also 'squashes' web bugs, and 'crunches' cookies. You can configure it to allow sites with popups and also to allow cookies for your favorite sites.
  3. xsivforce

xsivforce Prodigal Son Folding Team

Texas, USA
  4. Tbird94sc

Tbird94sc Guest

5. dijital

dijital Guest

well i use zonealarm pro for a firewall and it has built in pop up stoppers. works great for me.
  6. sy64004

sy64004 OSNN Addict

AdShield is the muts nuts. It's FREE and all you do is drag and drop the ads or right click on the pop up and add it to your list and from then on it wont pop up or load the ad. It rules go here for more details
  7. surge

surge OSNN Senior Addict

PopUp filter works very well
    trial version only stops 40 popups but pay for it and have a fully working program

is where u can get it
  8. DoubleClick

DoubleClick Guest

A free program called POW! by AnalogX . I have used it and it's pretty simple although you need to add the popups to the list.

It doesn't block ads only popups. But it's free.
  9. haomin

haomin Guest

try this free utility from southbaypc.com
    i like it and i recommanded to all of my
    friends who is a computer geek.
    it is very simple to use and very small.
    link below
  10. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Red Sox Nation
    I know its a long shot, but can any of these also piggyback with Kazaa. I've been getting alot of popups with Kazaa. Sounds like ZA Pro might do the trick
  11. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Guest

Fellas, fellas, fellas.......try AdsGone. It works for IE, Netscape, and Opera. It does a great job eliminating ads in Kazaa too!!! Great proggie!!:) :D
  12. HipHopFaze

HipHopFaze Guest

run popup killers as service?

do any of these ad stoppers run as a service? or something that doesnt take much mem?
  13. l0g0ut

l0g0ut OSNN Addict

i do believe the combination of adshield and host file is the best and easiest pop up and ad stopper.... adshield is just IE extension and host file is cool to stop kazaa..
  14. riscy

riscy OSNN Addict

hosts file

I find that a large host file listing the IP addresses of the offending sites works wonders - there are several ready for download - one is at kazaalite.com under hosts.

Even stops pop ups at source
  15. twitch

twitch Guest

16. stuy_b

stuy_b Guest

Best Popup Stopper I've tried and still use is by Panicware.com, called "Popup Stopper", its a great proggie, and does indeed stop pop-ups.. Plus its 100% free, with no spywear.

Personally I'm saving money for the Pro version which integrates to a toolbar in IE, with more tracking options. :D
  17. dadx2mj

dadx2mj Guest

I'll second FreeSurfer! This program works great it is very unobtrusive and is a no brainer to use. Just install it and forget it.
  18. chubbrock

chubbrock Guest

i use analog x pow!, and it works great. the only thing you have to do is put it in your startup folder so it loads up everytime you start your computer. just use startup control panel, which can be found on download.com.
  19. PJC

PJC Guest

Im using popup stopper never get any popups now and its easy to allow them when you want to on a by site basis