Pop Up prevention pgms, are they worth it?

Originally posted by cryogenic
I have quite a few extensions loaded for firebird, and unfortunately I think it kills my startup times :( ... probably remove them and Firebird might actually start up a bit faster... but I like the functionality. The integrated popup blocker is by far more useful than just about any other add-on, though.
Firebird just loads slow. I've only got 3 and it's slow starting.

The popup stopping though, is superb.

well, I don't feel so bad now about Firebird loading slowly... I do know that it loaded slower after I added all the extensions than it did when it was a fresh install with no extensions. I don't really mind it loading slow since fucntionally, it's by far my favorite browser.

I've tried them all and more :) Sticking with MYIE2, Firebird, Norton Internet Security and google Toolbar :) All at the same time.

Norton...although effective is no comparison to Nod32 for an anti-virus which in tests found virus's on a machine that justr had been checked by Norton.
As for nortons firewall It has been found "cumbersome and clumsy" compared to the time tested and proved "Zone Alarm".
On a personal level and after putting various popup stoppers to the test I found that "Adkiller Daemon" exceeds the others by far, sitting on your takbar till a popup appears you dont want and with 1 click you never see it again.
So far as Nortongoes the 2004 version recieved the following review from ZDNet Week, 20 October 2003 and I quote.....
"minor improvements over 2003 version: anti-spyware imperfect...not a worthwile upgrade"

another good one is ZeroPopup I use adshield and have just started to use Zeropopup after going to the page listed in this thread I saw adshield was not working on some of the pop windows, but now it dont matter at all Zeropopup is just that it stops um dead :)

Between Mozilla 1.5 and Norton Internet Security I get zero popups.

Eat that, javascript :rolleyes:

Ive used a bunch of them too.Pop Up Cop was/is the best for me.The pay for pro is the best!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back