Police Chief is networking dunce and needs help

Bytes Back

Ex Police Chief
Ok, I have two computers with a Realtek RTL8029 card in each.

One machine is 98 and the other XP. Up to now the network has been fine.

For whatever reason the machines no longer see each other, The light on both networks cards is off.

I have tried pinging but get timed out errors.

I have changed both terminators. and as far as I can see the network cable is ok.

I have run the network wizard from xp just in case any of the settings were screwed, as far as I can see all the settings are correct. There is no firewall.

I am going to have a small rebellion soon if the kids can't print out there pictures so any help is appreciated.

Ok, this IS more than likely a cabling issue, if the lights are off on the cards then the Link is not up (obviously) so at this stage protocols dont mean squalt.

Are you sure that your cabling is OK, if so then you may have a faulty Network card.

Do you have anything else you can connect the cards to to see if you get a light?

Blue Raja beat me to it. Most certainly a cable or defective network card causing your problem.

Probably a bad cable or NIC card.

I have changed both terminators. and as far as I can see the network cable is ok.

I assume you mean that you put the cable plugs on the ends yourself. Check that the wires are in the right order. Check http://home.attbi.com/~dabomb4097/netguide/ for the correct color codes for straight thru or crossover cable.

Is it a crossover cable or connected to a hub/swtich?

JJB6486

Originally posted by JJB6486
Probably a bad cable or NIC card.

I assume you mean that you put the cable plugs on the ends yourself. Check that the wires are in the right order. Check http://home.attbi.com/~dabomb4097/netguide/ for the correct color codes for straight thru or crossover cable.

Is it a crossover cable or connected to a hub/swtich?

JJB6486

BNC connectors :D

*beats Bytes back with a stick*

Get CAT5 RJ-45. Its better then coax

JJB6486

*grabs stick off JJb6486 and tries to break it over his knee, Ouch, throws it into nearest bin, considers areesting him and throwing him into cell 1 but remebers its full of the mayors "packages"*

To be honest I figured it had to be hardware, is there any advantage to RJ45 ?

*decides not to beat Bytes back with a stick, barely*

Umm, yes. Less trouble getting the bl***y thing to work. BNC is stone age. I had cable trouble all the time back when I ran BNC (cable loose, cable thinking it's loose, cable seemingly ok but still not bl***y working (and so on)). Get an RJ45 or we won't help you. :p

Just kidding ;)

All this talk about beatings !! I'll have to call in The punisher with his trout.

Now before I rush out and buy a new cable I forgot to mention that if I look in the connection box thingy I find that 0 bytes sent and recieved. I know that if I had trouble networking before I would at least have had bytes sent.

Does this confirm you chaps diagnoses or just put more fuel onto the fire.

*Bytes spends next hour or so looking for big sticks and hiding them*

If the lights don't light up, it's cable problems (or card). There aren't any animals (or kids) around who may have bitten off the cable or something? Have you checked if the cable is ok (by measuring it)?

Aw just buy a new one anyway.

Originally posted by Zedric
If the lights don't light up, it's cable problems (or card). There aren't any animals (or kids) around who may have bitten off the cable or something? Have you checked if the cable is ok (by measuring it)?

Aw just buy a new one anyway.

He he, What I haven't told you is the location of the other computer is in my 5 Yr olds bedroom. Now i don't think she would have damaged the cable intentionally but accidents happen.

Ok, I'll buy a new cable.

Thanks for the help

Well, pats on the back all round, It was the cable. One nice new RJ 45 cable installed.

Now, while I was there, I also changed the network cards for a bit a speed boost. It seems to working ok, but in the installation manual it says to install NETBUI for XP. Well I have looked in the add protocols section and it doesn't exist. Do I need to do this and is there any advantage with it.

Finally, If you have the show icon when connected on, is there anyway of making it a different colour or something so I can tell it apart from my net connection ?

Originally posted by Bytes back
Well, pats on the back all round, It was the cable. One nice new RJ 45 cable installed.
Yay, we were right! :)
Now, while I was there, I also changed the network cards for a bit a speed boost. It seems to working ok, but in the installation manual it says to install NETBUI for XP. Well I have looked in the add protocols section and it doesn't exist. Do I need to do this and is there any advantage with it.
You don't need it, don't bother.
Finally, If you have the show icon when connected on, is there anyway of making it a different colour or something so I can tell it apart from my net connection ?
Never heard of a way. Not without some kind of extra hack anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back