Pocket PC w/ Wireless Network (Connectivity)

DJ-phYre

To whom it may concern
OK here is some background, I am getting a PDA for college, and I think I have decided to go with a Pocket PC because of the windows support and the wireless abilities. The product I chose is:

http://reviews.cnet.com/HP_iPaq_H4150/4507-3127_7-30571422.html?tag=dir

(Note: it has 802.11b support for wireless)

I am on a dial-up connection at my house. I won't be going to college until fall 2004. Right now I have a home network of 4 PCs, 2 of which are running windows xp. The network is hardwired with no wireless devices.

When I purchase this Pocket PC, I want to be able to sit in my bed and browse the internet wirelessly, and things like that. What exactly would I have to do?

By my understanding, I would have to just purchase a Wireless NIC with 802.11b support and pop it into my main Windows XP machine and set that NIC as a ICS, which would then feed the connection to the PDA. Is this right, or wrong? Is there any other simpler way to do this?

Remember, I am on a dial-up connection.. I DO NOT have a router. I have 4 computers all linked through a hub. There are currently no wireless connections in my household.

Any information would be appreciated.. Thanks!

Originally posted by DJ-phYre
By my understanding, I would have to just purchase a Wireless NIC with 802.11b support and pop it into my main Windows XP machine and set that NIC as a ICS, which would then feed the connection to the PDA. Is this right, or wrong? Is there any other simpler way to do this?
i'm pretty sure that's all you would have to do. i've done the exact same with a laptop so i don't see why a pda would be much different, as long as it has that built-in 802.11b support.

and just fyi, your other option besides a wireless pci card is a wireless usb adapter. same function, just maybe more suitable if you think you might need to remove it. also, the usb ones usually come with a seperate antenna you can place in a spot that will allow for better reception. most of the pci adapters have a short antenna from the pci card behind your pc, which isn't always the best place for a signal.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back