Please Help!! Explorer Constant Crash, when trying to open a window

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Enforcer, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Enforcer

Enforcer Guest

This problem has been driving me ABSOLUTELY crazy. I am about to reformat, but please, if you can help, tell me!

Whenever I use my computer after a reboot, I can open ONE window, whether it be MY COMPUTER, or a folder from my desktop. After that, whenever I try to open anything else that is a window, I get this message:
    "windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close, if this persists please restart your computer" I click for more info on the problem and it says that there is something wrong with ftapp.dll

Then when i hit the close button, I get another error saying internet explorer has crashed, and I need to restart. WHY can I only open one window without a problem. I have tried reinstalling IE 6 and that dosen't help. I dont have room to go into all that I have tried, but please, if you know anything about this problem let me know!!

SPECS:
    Win XP Prof
    Pentium 1.3
    256 Ram

2. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

XP pro or Home?? ....... have you installed any new programs when did it start?? .......... have you tried a system restore point go back to a point when it was ok ??...............

3. Enforcer

Enforcer Guest

XP Pro.

The last thing I installed was Soldier of Fortune 2. It runs fine, so does the rest of my programs. Its just the damn windows. ugh! hhaa anyway,

I have tried a system restore point, but the problem is still there. ANy ideas?

4. xsivforce

xsivforce Prodigal Son Folding Team

Do you use imesh?

5. Enforcer

Enforcer Guest

Nope, no imesh.

This has happened ONCE before, and someone told me to remove explorer from windows components, and reinstall it. I did that and it worked for a few weeks. Now the problem is back, and I did the same again. This time the reinstall didnt work.

any ideas?

6. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Get a copy of adaware and see if it will clean up your problem. It looks like some ad popup crud according to this.

7. xsivforce

Run adaware. It will probably pick up ftapp.dll. Have a look here and here .

Edit: beat me to it Lonman. :)

8. Enforcer

Enforcer Guest

omg, get this crap. I cant click on that THIS tag, it causes that message to come up...wtf!!!

9. Enforcer

Enforcer Guest

ok now we are getting somewhere , where can I adaware???

10. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

11. xsivforce

here

Edit: c'mon Lonman. :p

EDIT EDIT: :p :D

12. Enforcer

Enforcer Guest

The problem is gone, is there anyway to delete ftapp.dll because it has write protected itself.

??

13. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

right click on it and change it's attributes.

14. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

i had the same problem, which is now solved