Plasma burn in..

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by BouncingSoul, May 15, 2007.

1. BouncingSoul

BouncingSoul Stranger Than Fiction Political User

How long does a guy have to change channels before a potential burn in can occur?

My new plasma has all the protections (pixel shift, etc) but its new and I'm new to plasma's and I'm worried. For example I'm trying to watch ESPNHD and since it's a 4:3 signal shown on a 16:9 TV they have a giant ESPNHD logo plastered on the black bars on the sides of the screen. There are other examples but I think this one would cause the worst burn in since its so huge.

Any ideas?

2. falconguard

falconguard Carbon based lifeform Political User Folding Team

ESPNHD broadcassts in 720p not 1090i, and I'm pretty sure that they should be a 16x9 signal too. Is their an option on either your tv or set top box to let the reciver automatically adjust the tv picture?

3. BouncingSoul

The TV auto adjusts the signal. I think I screwed up my description of the issue with espn. It's a 4:3 show and to broadcast it in 16:9 HD they pad the sides of the show with ESPNHD logos so technically the signal is 16:9

4. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

About all you can do is call and email them and raise hell about their being so stupid. It's not like burn in is an unknown phenomena.

Not much you can do but detune the contrast to make the burn in a little slower, but that's a hell of a waste of HD Plasma picture quality.

5. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

PLasmas dont get burn in they get image persistance. It will go away if you turn it off for a while or watch 16: content as often as 4:3 content.

6. Android412

Android412 OSNN Addict

uhh...yes they do. Your thinking of LCD's.

If its a name brand plasma be careful for the first month or two, most should be fine after that, as long as your not stupid (ie. watching 1 channel with a logo/ticker/4:3 side bars 24/7)

7. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

newer generation plasmas have less chance of burn in than they used to. If you google around you will see more advanced techniques manufacturers are using that have almost gotten rid of it. It's still there but not as prevalent

8. Petros

Petros Thief IV

I've seen a 3-year-old plasma set with the outlines of the Dish Network channel indicator visible when the screen was one color.

9. ray_gillespie

ray_gillespie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Apparently you can get rid of this on plasmas by displaying a pure white signal for 20 minutes followed by a pure black signal for 20 mins. Not tried this myself though, so not sure how reliable it is.

10. BouncingSoul

I hope to never have to do it, but my set supports it. It also has a wave type effect where it will fill the screen pure white one direction and then pure black the direction. Kind of neat.

11. vertigo

vertigo OSNN Senior Addict

no such thing as 4:3 HD (except in one or two films), it would have been an upconvert.