Pirates get Shadowrun to work on XP

Petros

Thief IV
Stealing a ton of Falling Leaf's thunder, a warez group released Shadowrun with XP compatibility. More than likely, legitimate game buyers who want to play it on XP will probably be downloading it.

Microsoft is killing itself (at least in the gaming area) with Vista. They have forgotten two big things that got 98, 2000, and XP their widespread use on home computers: they were easy to copy and had broad backward compatibility.

Hopefully they'll change things soon instead of falling on their own sword. People who buy all their software usually know the value of their money, and a lot of them still own XP. Or maybe their business plan is to get out of Windows gaming entirely, and my point is null.

Last edited:
this has to be one of the dumbest moves by Microsoft in a while. Not that it is that big of a deal but why cut off a large amount of customers. Makes 0 sense.

Yeah I always used to stick up for Microsoft but this was nothing short of an underhand tactic - it makes their decision to delay the first Halo on the PC (to make people buy Xboxes) look like a jovial trick!

< no avoiding filters pleaase :p >

Last edited by a moderator:
This is cool, hopefully MS will get the message and drop the vista exclusive nonsense for non DX10 titles.

LOL did some searching around and found out Halo 2 runs on XP too. This is a good thing since I don't own vista and I have never played Halo 2.

I love how this happened, cause yea I have Vista, but I don't want to run it YET....and I want to play both those games, and this works great!

I said vista would fail becuase it didn't offer anything, xp is too good

now if they did what was rumored at the start, vista would be 64 bit only, then apps would naturally get written for it using all the extra memory

32 bit vista is rediculous, it's still limited to 4 gigs of address space for memory, now anyone writing for vista has to write 32 AND 64 bit?

crazy marketing

if billy is smart he ships all new boxes with free xp 32, dual boot loaded 64 bit vista, give vista ability to load a ram drive of say 5 gigs FOR STORAGE NOT FOR MEMORY, that ram drive would have to populate every time you booted IF you ran out of electricity while the box wasn't running

the box should also have a seperate battery supply providing electricisty to the ram drive so when you turned the box off it would keep STORAGE in memory from ac (or battery in black out) , thus eliminating the need for "repopulating" the ram drive on home towers STORAGE (ram drive)

a person would have the option of either 32 bit or 64 bit vista, he can choose to delete either or neither when they get the box and a person could opt to load 32 bit vista if they wanted but they couldn't run 32 and 64 bit vista on the same box.

that marheting scenario would save vista as a "look forward to" purchase

right now I have to get a new laptop, first thing, gonna partition, load in my xp professional and keep vista till it matures

I also have contact with the head of the memory management team over at microsoft and will contact him with my new operating system which I just described for everybody right here

Last edited:
I run 64-bit Gentoo and the only things that aren't 64-bit are the binary blobs that aren't compiled for 64 bit like Sun's Java, Flash, Acrobat Reader and Opera. I was hoping that the release of Vista as a 64-bit OS would push those companies to make 64-bit compatible version but since there are about 6 people running Vista 64-bit that doesn't seem to be happening. The request for a 64-bit java browser plugin is over 4 years old at Sun and has little info on whether they are going to release on or not, atleast it will be open sourced and someone will fix it.

I run 64-bit Gentoo and the only things that aren't 64-bit are the binary blobs that aren't compiled for 64 bit like Sun's Java, Flash, Acrobat Reader and Opera. I was hoping that the release of Vista as a 64-bit OS would push those companies to make 64-bit compatible version but since there are about 6 people running Vista 64-bit that doesn't seem to be happening. The request for a 64-bit java browser plugin is over 4 years old at Sun and has little info on whether they are going to release on or not, atleast it will be open sourced and someone will fix it.
exactly...IF they were going to write a 32 bit vista they should have shipped 64 bit vista on "c" so users would give it a go, they would have the option to load 32 vista if they insisted, the would also have a running 32 bit xp on a secondary partition

that would have been great marketing

Last edited:
Umm, Vista isn't failing...

Vista is being shipped on all new PCs (except, god bless them, Dells). That means in 3 years Vista will essentially be all that is out there forcing people to pay 50-100% more for new operating systems or operating system upgrades than XP users are used to paying. This comment is based on 3 year life for laptops which are dominating PC sales now. Upgrading old desktops to the new OS won't work because it will mean costly hardware upgrades.

So where are the EU green fanatics in all this? Vista is planned obsolescence for the 100's of millions of desktop PCs out there. Ban VISTA in the EU!

On the amusing side I read the latest VISTA EULA's a couple days ago. I hurt myself laughing when I read that paying $100 over the price of XP Pro for the top end Vi$ta Ultimate guarantees you the right to downgrade to Windows XP at anytime. The cheaper versions you are stuck with forever.

That is f'ing sick!

Buy the cheap version on a cheap PC that doesn't have the speed to support VISTA and you are screwed. This is the reason I have not bought a laptop this spring.

Rant over.

PS I'm brushing up my linux skills. With the dearth of exciting new PC game titles my days as a Windows household are numbered.

I didn't say Vista was failing, I said Vista 64-bit is failing ;) Although I don't think its adoption is anywhere near what Microsoft expected. Customers were up in arms against Dell and demanded that XP be made available and Microsoft actually begged companies not to wait for SP1 via their "fact rich" [LOL] program.

Umm, Vista isn't failing...

no?

when xp was first introduced people were throwing their other computers out to get it, those that weren't throwing out their computers were buying the os and and downloading it even though their boxes didn't have enough resources to run it\

when windows 98 was inroduced, same thing

when friggin "millenium" was introduced same thing (till everyone found out it was a pig)

nobody is throwing out their comtputers for vista like they were for every other os release, the disc isn't flying off the racks, they're hardly sold at all, vista is getting forced onto new boxes and that's the only reason people are getting it

vista is as of now a marketing failure compared to how it should be doing

Last edited:
Petros: i kinda have to chuckle a bit at the first post...... cause i'm PRETTY sure that "easy to copy" hasn't been on Microsoft's mind for XP ever since WGA was put out. And as far as i know, Vista is still pretty backwards compatible.

Don't really see what everyone's big beef is with Vista. I mean seriously..... yes, it takes a bit of toying with your BIOS settings to get it running nicely with next to no BSOD's (usually as close to default settings as possible).... but i honestly think that it runs a bit better than XP when it's done right.

the issue with most folks and Vista is the fact it seems to run slower then XP, uses more memory, and also faster cpu's to get a decent expenrice from it. That and the fact M$ is trying to force everybody to upgrade to it, even though for most folks its nothing but a shiney slick gui and more headaches.

Is Vista a failure, depends on how you look it at I guess, to me its was way over hyped as to what it would bring to end user vs what most reports have said it brings.

Now as for the 2 games that were supposed to be Vista only, they supposedly still used DirectX9 not 10 and you can't use some of the features with the verions that have been cracked

Well.... the resource usage should be expected. there was a nice jump from 2k to XP if i remember correctly. 2GB of memory is becoming more of the standard.... just like 1GB became standard with XP.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back