Piracy, victimless crime??

Originally posted by Krux
pshhh well fine just skip my post!!!

Sorry Krux. I completely understand what you do. The crazy thing about buying media, is you usually spend money not knowing quite what you are going to get. You go buy furniture, you sit down and lay on it... to try it out. You go buy a car, you drive it around and look at it from every angle. You go buy a CD, you buy it, open it, stick it in the player and hope that it is good. Of the millions of CDs to buy, there might be 20 at the store that you can listen to first. Kinda sucks don't you think?

wow! aska simple questin and..... First off to Muzikool, congrats on the jars of Clay and Caedmon's call. Great music!!

Un4gIvEn1
You said you have mp3's you didnt buy but you aren't going to try to justify...err "rationalize" it, so that makes it ok? So a person who commits a crime and doesnt try to rationalize it away i in the clear? Cmon, if you dont have SOME way to defend your actions, why are you doing it? For the rest of you who are open enough to stand up and say you have copied stuff and give good and valid reasons good for you!

Another taping policy...

JOHN MAYER TAPING POLICY
Live Recording

John Mayer allows audiotaping at almost every live performance. No soundboard or power feeds are provided.

Taping is limited to audio-only, using only microphones. Wireless receivers are strictly prohibited. We sincerely appreciate all of John's fans, so we ask that you please be considerate of those around you by not obstructing anyone else's view of the performance.

All recordings must be used for personal use or trading only. Selling or commercializing any recording is illegal and will jeopardize taping privileges for everyone.

In addition to helping fans recreate the live experience, we hope tape trading will foster greater interaction within the fan community. Any method of trading that does not involve personal fan interaction defeats the spirit of this goal of the taping policy and is not authorized.

What have we learned today kids?

Piracy is stealing... like it or not, do it or not.

Owning and trading bootlegs is LEGAL, as long as the band has a taping policy that allows it.

The RIAA needs a better plan than to sue the socks off of the people that support their industry.

Hematic: I didn't say it was OK.

John Mayer... I like to call him "bouncy boy"

He drives me absolutely insane with the bouncing he does in his videos.

You go buy furniture, you sit down and lay on it... to try it out. You go buy a car, you drive it around and look at it from every angle. You go buy a CD, you buy it, open it, stick it in the player and hope that it is good. Of the millions of CDs to buy, there might be 20 at the store that you can listen to first. Kinda sucks don't you think?

Heck... you even get this option with women (some)... but not CDs or games. :D

Originally posted by Un4gIvEn1
Heck... you even get this option with women (some)... but not CDs or games. :D

Better hope Jewelzz doesn't read that.

I'm very materialistic, if I like a cd I will buy it!:p

Ill admit, i got some 10 GB of OGG's and MP3's. So sue me.

About 8 GB of the stuff was from a shoutcast stream. Not full albums, and the only reason i have them is because i want to listen to them when i am offline. I dont use Kazaa or any file sharing tools, i need a song i ask someone else to download it for me, if i like it, i go out and buy the full album.

Personally i like what they do in Switzerland in some stores, you get a CD, they open it for you, stick it in the CD player, and let you listen to the album, this is when i would buy the CD there, and not download stuff. I am very supportive of groups/bands that i like.

Yes, personally i also warez certain apps for windows, for the following reasons:

1. I dont have $500+ to spend on buying them
2. I use em once or twice ( Waste of cash )
3. My dad disallows me to buy violent games. I have many a times bought a game, come home, and hid the origionals and keep the ones i burnt from the net. Since my dad doesnt care about them.

On the other hand, i have a lot of warez available to me, i DONT use it. I still have it but DONT use it, i like open soure stuff, its always uptodate and mostly smaller, faster and less bloat than commercial products. Case and point openoffice, the gimp, maguma studio for php.

I know it doesnt justify me having the apps and music, but its damn hard to find a good trance/techno CD here in NJ. I personally hate crap like metallica and britney spears.

I prefer having stuff on my PC anyways since i dont listen to CD's, i like to open winamp, and have my 1,000+ songs available to me. Just easier than swopping CD's, plus then i can listen to random tunes from random people and not have to listen to an entire album of one person.

yeah I dont use CDs much either, once I have them I usually rip to my hard drive or Zen anyways, but I do still buy them. Cause then I can use them in the car :p

Originally posted by Un4gIvEn1
Copywrite © 2003 - Don Freeman
The information above is provided with no warranty either expressed or implied. It is the intellectual property of the author and may not be used in any way without express permission.
So I can't quote you on that?

Oh sh*t I just did.

So sue me. :p

Geffy, my dads car has a built in storage space, that he can remove, then hook up to the PC, load MP3's/use the special utitly to copy CD's to it, and stick it back in and listen to around 50 GB of music.

I believe it does OGG as well, the new one that is. Its pretty damn cool and he enjoys having over 5000 listing hours of music, so he can never get bored.

Originally posted by Hematic
Muzikool, Its not really a justification to say you will buy it later. I mean if i went out and stole a car with the intent to buy one just like it in 4 or 5 years when i got the money, thats not exactly fair. I find piracy to be kind of odd because it seems almost natural and most everyone does it, but its quite hard to justify.

sorry to bring this up, but piracy isnt actually stealing as the original owner can still use it. if you stole the car of an old man who lives down the road and you're driving it around town, he cant use it simply because you are.

yet if you download for example an eminem album from the net, eminem can listen to it all he wants, as can anyone else who bought/downloaded it, so its not true stealing - but its still not right to be doing it.

I think the RIAA is doing more damage to the industry as they're actually putting a spotlight on p2p and music piracy which is making people who didnt do it before realise that its so easy to download any music they want... so more people are trying it. And at the end of the day, what one company loses, another gains - more people are signing up to broadband to download music... broadband company gains... music company loses. A little like robin hood... just more technological :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back