Piracy, victimless crime??

Un4gIvEn1, does your list make you right on this subject? No, it simply means the bands that you've seen live don't allow taping. Guess you didn't visit the link I provided, so here's another chance... linked to the specific page listing known "taper-friendly" bands.

Bands

Dave Matthews Band, Grateful Dead, Phish, Counting Crows... just to name a few that you can tape and trade legally. I don't see the point in trying to prove a point without all of the adequate information. :rolleyes:

My point was not that taping them wasn't right. You said you have 200-300 bootleg CDs (-20)... I do not see 200-300 bands listed on your little list. And I certainly do not see any one band that I would waste my time seeing. AND... I want quality, not some crappy "tape" sound. What sense does it make to put such things on CD? Good for your little list.

I take that back.. there is ONE band on there that I might go see. Pearl Jam. I don't even own a tape player and haven't since I was 12 (12 years ago).

AND... that list is not by artists or recording labels. It is by fans. I wouldn't trust the accuracy of that thing.

I figured i would get some heartfelt opinions on this topic.

First off Muzikool, the word you are looking for is "rationalizing". The word justification can only be applied when something is actually, well ...just. :) So for those of you who are posting on this thread and are against this, are you saying you have no copied music, software, movies, ect...? Or are you just stating its wrong?

Originally posted by Un4gIvEn1
muzikool: I have NEVER been to a concert that has allowed that, and I have been to quite a few...

Rammstein
Linking Park
Mudvayne
Stabbing Westward
Static X
Nine Inch Nails
Live
Saliva
Evenesence
3 Doors Down
Cold
Adema (3 times)
Apex Theory
GlassJaw
Earshot
Staind
Orgy
Disturbed
Offspring
Incubus
Skywind
Revis

Just to name a few, off the top of my head...
None of those bands allow taping...

been to a mudvayne concert and they do allow it

Un4gIvEn1, this is absolutely ridiculous. I have 200-300 bootlegs just of 4 bands... that's it! And the fact that you think "taping" means a cassette recorder and a blank tape just goes to show how little you do know about it. Until last year, Dave Matthews Band allowed tapers with $1000+ taping equipment to feed straight into the sound board! I have loads of sound board bootleg recordings... and the sound is amazing. Furthermore, most of my bootlegs were compressed using the Shorten (SHN)format, not MP3, so the quality of the music is superior.

Back to legality once again, if you care to research anything (which apparently, you don't), then you will find taping policies on most the bands' official websites... so trust that source of information, not the fans.

I could care less if you don't want bootleg copies of those bands' shows... that isn't the point!!! The point is that you can LEGALLY own bootleg copies of live concerts! Your original arguement was that bootlegs were not legal period, and I think I have proven that point not to be true. You don't like being wrong do you? If you don't, then may I suggest that you have all of the facts before you tell someone that they are wrong.

been to a mudvayne concert and they do allow it

Well, they didn't when I saw them. But they played with a bunch of other bands, so that may have been one reason...

I am not trying to piss anyone off, I just hate it when people try to rationalize doing something that isn't right (except in their minds)

Don't get me wrong. I am not going to say that I don't have ANY MP3s that I down own originals of... But I am not going to try to justify it. I just have them. End of Story

My point was not that taping them wasn't right. You said you have 200-300 bootleg CDs (-20)... I do not see 200-300 bands listed on your little list. And I certainly do not see any one band that I would waste my time seeing. AND... I want quality, not some crappy "tape" sound. What sense does it make to put such things on CD? Good for your little list.

ummmm live music in general sound pretty craptacular, unrefined I guess would be a better word for it... and some of these band that you "wouldn't waste your time seeing" so have good styles and music there just not as "big" as other well known bands (yet)

Originally posted by Hematic
I figured i would get some heartfelt opinions on this topic.

First off Muzikool, the word you are looking for is "rationalizing". The word justification can only be applied when something is actually, well ...just. :) So for those of you who are posting on this thread and are against this, are you saying you have no copied music, software, movies, ect...? Or are you just stating its wrong?

Hematic, my mistake, you are correct. Unlike others posting here, I admit my error. I'm too used to hearing that word used incorrectly. I do rationalize using some software freely, and I do not think it is morally and ethically right to do so. By the way, I've got some Jars of Clay and Caedmon's Call as well... and I bought those CDs. :)

The point is that you can LEGALLY own bootleg copies of live concerts!

Copywrites are on the songs, not the media in which it is held. You mean to tell me that an artist is going to allow you to record him, and that since you "legally" have a copy of it you can "legally" trade it? What planet are you from? What would be the difference from copying an original CD? Man... I think you need to do a little more research.

I am not trying to piss anyone off, I just hate it when people try to rationalize doing something that isn't right (except in their minds)

I'm not trying to piss anyone off either, I just hate it when people try and state opinion as fact without being educated on the topic.

I suppose you think it is legal to record something off of the radio? WRONG!

You mean to tell me that an artist is going to allow you to record him, and that since you "legally" have a copy of it you can "legally" trade it? What planet are you from?

YES!!! Some artists DO allow you to record them!!! Why is this fact so hard for you to understand!!! You want me to do research? These are the results of my research!

ive downloaded games of the net and other places for "trial" purposes if I happen to like the game I will go out and buy it (most recently I did this with Frozen throne) if I don't I uninstall the game and throw the cd away or delete the iso off my computer. I "justify" this by saying I don't want to spend 50 bucks on a game to have it be complete @#$% and then not be able to take it back because "its open" and I could have "copyed" it I've been shafted like this b4 so I adopted the trial method. and most good games that have a cd key also have multiplayer so when you get a warez game you basically only get half the game which makes u want to go buy the game. (if its good mind you)

Show me a link to a website of a major band stating that they allow it. I don't want some little local or regional band, or a "washed-up" band...

I suppose you think it is legal to record something off of the radio? WRONG!

No, I don't. Quit making assumptions about me. :mad:

You know what... I don't even care. If you don't think it's wrong then you can't get busted, right? Go on believing that. I am done argueing with you.

Show me a link to a website of a major band stating that they allow it. I don't want some little local or regional band, or a "washed-up" band...

Here's the proof that you were too lazy to find yourself:

Taping

Dave Matthews Band allows audiotaping at almost every live performance. We feel that each show is unique and want to offer our fans the opportunity to recreate the live experience through the audio reproduction of our shows. At all taping authorized performances, tapers can tape from any ticketed seating location in the venue. Also, for many of these performances tapers are able to purchase tickets for a specially designated taper section, normally located immediately behind the soundboard. No soundboard or power feeds are provided.

Taping is limited to audio-only, using only microphones. Wireless receivers are strictly prohibited. We sincerely appreciate all of our fans, so we ask that you please be considerate of those around you by not obstructing anyone else's view of the performance.

When taper tickets are available for a particular show, they are released concurrently with general seating tickets. To obtain designated taper tickets, contact the venue's box office.

All recordings must be used for personal use or trading only. Selling or commercializing any recording is illegal and will jeopardize taping privileges for everyone. Please read our Bootleg Statement for more information.

In addition to helping fans recreate the live experience, we hope tape trading will foster greater interaction within the fan community. Any method of trading that does not involve personal fan interaction defeats the spirit of this goal of the taping policy and is not authorized. In particular, posting audio or video files on web sites for streaming to or downloading by the public, is not authorized.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back