Pioneer DVR-104

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Nightbreeder, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Nightbreeder

Nightbreeder Guest

I installed this onto a Gigabyte GA8-IRXP board as a master on its own channel. Whenever I burn DVD's using an ISO filesystem (backing up HDD Data) I cant get above 4gb(ish) - I tried changing Media brands but still no avail. I have updated ASPI drivers to 4.71 and Nero 5.5.9.0. XP is sp'd up and all updates - I have tried disabling DMA (even though it is a DMA drive). It will sometimes burn up to 4.3gb but most of the time it only keeps about 4.04gb, anything it writes over this fails the verification and you cannot pull the data back off.
    Anyone any other ideas?

Cheers

2. Sagima

Sagima Guest

My Pioneer DVD-ROM (not a dvd recorder i know) only works properly if it has it's jumpers set it as a slave device (on it's own channel or not).

3. Gnu

Gnu OSNN Addict

Likely the most relevant factor is the difference between ISO and UDF block sizes -- you're not always gonna be able to get the full raw 4.7GB onto a disc using any non-UDF format, particularly with as many smaller files as a hard disk backup would generate. As far as Nero not picking up on this and trying to write past the boundary, I haven't a clue.

4. Gnu

Gnu OSNN Addict

That's odd, Sagima -- which Pioneer drive are you using? My 16x slot-load has worked fine as master on the secondary channel on a couple of different motherboards. In your case, it may be an IDE controller issue (particularly if you have one of the newer UDMA/100 Pioneers).

5. Nightbreeder

Nightbreeder Guest

Would it be advantageous to use UDF opposed to ISO then for backup purposes? I am just backing up MP3's etc

6. Sagima

Sagima Guest

It's a 16x slot loading thing as well DVD-106S though I flashed it's firmware to reove the region locking counter so perhaps that has something to do with it. It never reads above 2x as Master or Cable Select.