PHP MVC Tutorial series

Discussion in 'Web Design & Coding' started by LordOfLA, Nov 28, 2009.

1. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Those of you looking to take steps towards MVC development with PHP may want to take a look at the following tutorial I found linked from nettuts:

CodeIgniter and Doctrine from scratch.Day 1 – Install and Setup. | PHP and Stuff

It details how to integrate Doctrine which is a database ORM much like ActiveRecord is in Ruby on Rails to the CodeIgniter MVC framework. Doctrine thereby replaces the M part of the CodeIgniter stack. From my reading around Doctrine appears to be one of (if not) the best ORM libraries for PHP at the moment.

Enjoy!

2. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

I personally prefer the Zend Framework for my PHP MVC development, check out the quickstart: Zend Framework

I find that it is cleaner, generally uses less resources and contains everything I need and I can leave out what I don't need. It doesn't have the same CRUD type of functionality but for most things I have found it unnecessary.

3. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

IMO Zend is too loose for people just getting started out in PHP MVC. A stricter framework such as CI may be better for starting out. It's not hard to adapt later on.

4. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

There is also CakePHP and Symfony both are also excellent MVC frameworks.

5. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

indeed. I prefer CI over Cake myself. There's also Kohana which is building on CI.