Photoshop help please!

Discussion in 'Desktop Customisation' started by Bubbabyte, Nov 28, 2002.

1. Bubbabyte

Bubbabyte Guest

Okay so i'm freaking out here cause i can't figure something out...i recently reformatted and i reinstalled photoshop7...
    now i can't save a png with transparency..i've gone through the help files which may i add are totally pathetic...and i can't find anything.
    Can someone please help me out here...or msn me .....my info is eazybubba@hotmail.com

thank you

2. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

To save a 24-bit PNG file with transparency in Photoshop:
    1. Choose File > Save for Web.
    2. In the Settings section, choose PNG-24, and select Transparency.
    3. Specify other options as desired, and then click OK.
    4. Specify a name and location for the image, and then click Save.

[​IMG]

3. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

This was an old thread, but my question is basically just an extension of it:

I read the above post and it works ok for creating a PNG, but how do you take an existing picture and apply the transparency effect? The photoshop help isn't very good.

Example: I currently have a GIF that has a shadow, but it was made on a white background to go with a white background. Therefore, if it is viewed on a black background, there is a whitish border around the shadow. I realize I have to increase the color count higher than the GIF specification of 256 colors, but where do I go from there? I've tried specifying the transparency color and selecting PNG-24, but I must be doing something wrong because it doesn't work; I still see the whitish border.

BTW: I am using PhotoShop 6.0 if that makes any difference.

4. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

Does no one know how to do this? I'm just looking for a rough explanation here, I don't need step-by-step hand-holding directions.

If it's not possible (without tons of pixel-level editing) then hopefully someone can say so. I do OK with graphics proggys, but not an expert.

5. XP Abuser

XP Abuser Guest

i think your looking for something called background eraser tool - its in the same box as the eraser

you probably know this but it usually is a faded grey and white square background

6. Herkalees

Herkalees Guest

It won't work that easily the way you want to do it.

What I would do is get rid of the exising drop shadow (and the white crap goes with it), then simply select your image and create a new drop shadow, then save it as .png-24

Easy.

7. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

Hmmph. It is semi easy but doesn't look as good as when I create the image from scratch. I guess it'll do.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

BTW: getting PNGs to display properly in IE6 is a pain in the butt! You have to use the "progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.BasicImage()" filter otherwise the background shows up as a gray square!