Photoshop 6.0 Not Working With Xp

L

Lydia

Hi, I hope someone can help me. :confused: I've tried everything on the ADOBE support site, and nothing has worked. I just upgraded to WIN XP from WIN ME and everytime I try to open up Photoshop I get this error message " Unable to continue due to hardware or sofware problem. Sorry, but this error is unrecoverable." I tried reinstalling photoshop, renaming 2 of the files to .old, and moved all fonts exlcuding true type fonts to a separate folder (that is all that is on the adobe support page). I know they say to do a clean install, not an upgrade, but I have no choice. I already opened the upgrade and installed it. Please help!! Thanks so much. Oh and I would extremely appreciate it if you would also copy the reply in an email to me. Thanks!!;)

Have u reinstalled PH 6 some times that helps :)

clean install

only way your gonna fix it is to format and do a clean install, never do an upgrade from me to xp itll screw all, my photoshop works great in xp. so do a clean install, also u have to have a paging file set up to run photoshop.;)

Your best bet it to use the file and settings wizzard then reformat and clean install.

Yes, I reinstalled photoshop a few times. I even tried installing it to my other hard drive. I thought maybe it was clashing with other programs on my original hard drive, but that didn't solve the problem. Is there any other way to try to correct this without reformatting my computer and doing a clean install? I would rather not do this because I have many programs, etc... that I do not want to lose and I just did a clean install/ reformat of ME about 3 months ago... (and had to back up everything..) Thanks!!

find this file "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 6.0\Photoshp.exe", right-click on it & go to the compatibility tab. Try setting it to 95/98 and see what happens. Just a suggestion.

i would still do fresh install

your gonna run into problem after problem, if you dont do a fresh install, i can garuntee it. just a little freindly advice. everyone that
i know that upgraded, was always having some problem.

Hi..just tried the compatibility feature...it didn't work, but thanks for letting me know about it. cool feature.. :p

going from 6.0 t0 6.1 still wont sove the problem :( id just bite the bullet back up every thing u can and refomat !!

Ok..I tried the update for 6.0.1 just for the hell of it...but now it just shuts the program immediately after loading it. I don't get an error message though hehehe... I'm gonna try to restart my computer..maybe it will work. I'll keep everyone updated and thank you so much everyone!!

Photoshop requires that there is a paging file on your disk. If you've disabled the paging file, reenable it. If this isn't the case, then I apologize for butting in.

In order to change the paging file, don't I need to get into the program first? If that is the case, I can't get into the program. It acts like it's loading all the settings, then fonts, then brushes, but then it gives me the error message and I need to close it.

No not true the main System paging file needs to be setup on PS6 unless you got a hell of a lot of memory. ie over 1gb

Have you removed all traces of PS6 out the registery ?

suspose u could resotre back to when u installed XP..

Remove the XP instalation from ME via add/remove.
then uninstall photoshop again and try the XP upgrade.

If you have enough disk space or a 2nd drive, why not have a duel boot with ME and XP ?? may be a workaround.

once again

its not going to work on an upgrade, dont beleive me if you want.
why would anyone want windows me files on xp. do a clean install
or you will never have a stable machine.:eek:

I'm running Xp Pro AND Photoshop 6.01 without ANY problems. So the problem is definitely on your PC. When you installed it, did you UNINSTALL it first? That's a mistake most of the newer users always make. If you only reinstall, it may not resaet everything properly. So try that.

Also, liek we pointed out to you a few times, you WILL continue to have problem over problem if you don't do a clean install. Make yourself a bootdisk, then reformat and install XP from scratch. If you have too much stuff to backup, it's too bad, but you'll need to bring your PC over to a techie friend, and copy the stuff you want to backup HDD to HDD.

Espescially since 1: upgrading is always worse than a clean install. 2: Windows ME is the worse thing Microsoft ever did after Windows 95.. so you WILL have more issues if you don't do it.

The only good upgrade I've seen is from Windows 2000 Pro to XP Pro, and even then, I had some minor issues.

No - I mean that Photoshop requires that XP has the paging file enabled.

I agree with a couple of those from above. Bite the bullet and reformat the drive and then a clean install, you get all sorts of problems from an upgrade, and this sure sounds like one of the compatability issues that does arise.

Originally posted by allan
No - I mean that Photoshop requires that XP has the paging file enabled.

If you mean the Scratch disk, it's enabled by default (uses primary drive by default). If you need anything else, well think again. Unless it's something turned on by default in XP, I never turned what you called paging on, and I've never had any problems running PS6 on my XP.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back