Photos of the First Few Microseconds of an Atomic Blast

http://www.rapidnewswire.com/atom.htm?a=true

Ever wondered what an atomic blast looks like before it obliterates everything around it? Before the smoke, the mushroom cloud, the devastation, it's really quite amazing to see the first few fractions of an atomic bomb upon detonation.

Edgerton built a special lens 10 feet long for his camera which was set up in a bunker 7 miles from the source of the blast which was triggered Nevada - the bomb placed atop a steel gantry anchored to the desert floor by guide wires. The exposures are at 1/100,000,000ths of a second.

Due to the extremely high shutter speeds, the image quality and color depth is limited in these photos.

atom3.jpg

Automatic Camera situated 7 miles from blast with 10 foot lens. Shutter speed equaled 1/100,000,000 of-a-second exposure.
atom1.jpg

With energy so great, the electric like energy runs down the towers guide wires and turning the desert floor to glass.
atom2.jpg

With a planet of fire, Joshua tree's near the base get vaporized in just microseconds.

Last edited:
Now that's impressive. Just imagine what those would look like with today's technology.

Saw that a few days ago...very interesting stuff :)

take it the peeps filming it all died of radiation eh?

nah. it was a small explosion in comparison with the nukes of today. and they built a 10 ft long lense to take those pics.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back