phone line busy!!

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by pops, Feb 1, 2002.

1. pops

pops Guest

Can anyone help me.After booting up my modem (creatix polymedia 56k HaM) dials my isp number then it clicks and tells me my line is busy.
    If I keep trying eventually I get a connection and everything is fine.It is very annoying as it does not happen all the time.If I boot up and leave my computer alone for a few minutes everything is fine and I can dial up straight away:confused:

2. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

Thats just your ISP having too many calls at once. Its probably just a conicidence that you can get on a few minutes later after it boots. Try a different access phone number (if offered).

JJB6486

3. pops

pops Guest

Thanks for the reply JJB.It just seems funny that this problem never happened with Windows98.It is one of those "now you see me,now you don't" problems.

4. CGCCdream

CGCCdream Guest

It may...

be that your modem needs a init string. I have used them many time with dial-up customers, sometimes they work fantastic and thats what was called for.

http://www.spy.net/~dustin/modem/

5. pops

pops Guest

Thanks CGCC I do have an init string in "advanced" I got it from the .inf file for my modem.I have looked on a number of sites but I can't find an init string for a 56k creatix modem anywhere.

6. CGCCdream

CGCCdream Guest

7. pops

pops Guest

Thanks CGCC the init string from that link you gave me seems to work,the problem seems to have vanished and also my connection seems to be more stable.

8. CGCCdream

CGCCdream Guest

no problem

9. Wow

I have the same problem with my US Robotics 56K. I usually have to turn off my computer at least once when it happens. Worked fine in 98SE too.