PerfectDisk Vs. Diskeeper

PerfectDisk Vs. Diskeeper

• PerfectDisk

Votes: 23 59.0%
  • Diskeeper

Votes: 16 41.0%

• Total voters
what i ment was if you defraged your comp with the built in defragger, then used this program it would work well by preventing it from ever getting defraged again?

chaos, I'm not sure drms is safe for files on a crash, I skimmed the site, and I couldn't find anything about backing up the file before it finnishes the defrag.

have you seen anything on this?

Henyman said:
what i ment was if you defraged your comp with the built in defragger, then used this program it would work well by preventing it from ever getting defraged again?
that's the only way to use this program, and it doesn't work fast enough to prevent fragmentation, that's my point

my box was idle for three hours, and it hardly defragged 150 temporary internet files

it's a good idea, but for it to be fast enough, it would represent too much of a resource drain

I've not had any problems with DIRMS, but I suppose it is a possibility, maybe ask on their forums?

I got perfect disk and thought I would try it. I have a couple of issues with it. First let me say that I like it alot, it is a really nice defragger. But what happens is that everytime I reboot I get the problem when loading error, it asks me if I want to start in normal mode or go back to last known good config. Also when I do a scan it tells me to do a smartplacement scan after it is done, I scanned it three times in a row and the message still came up. Why is it doing this ??

Another question is what is the diff between the server version and workstation version ?? The one I had you were able to do network drives as well, in order for it to work you had to have the program on the computer as well ...

Just like what Johnny said about defraggin numerous times and it still tells you to defrag.
frown.gif

I'm getting cheesed off with the damn crap, spent more than 3hrs in total defragging and it's leaving fragmented files behind.

OK, I've been told that PD puts a priority on consolidating files, and defragging the fragmented files is not as important. I think that just defeats the whole point of a 'Defrag' software to be honest.

Now I'm asking why do they sell a 'Defrag' software when it doesn't do the job it's meant to do? Putting consolidation of files a top priority just so that it can forget all about the defragmenting of files is silly. It should be doing both things at the same time, or at least doing one after another, not just consolidating and forgetting about the other important task.

Well, here's a screenie of the second time I 'defragged', or should I say the 'consolidation' of files AGAIN. Just look at the fragmented files. :mad:

Attachments

• PD.JPG
    PD.JPG
    204.2 KB · Views: 141
HAHAHAHA!!! I've gotta fooking laugh at PD. So Sh!te is all I can say, especially since I ran it for the third time this evening. By choosing the 'Defrag Only' option, all it's done is move the fragmented files to the end of the drive and create even more fragmented files.
I haven't got a screenie to show, but just say that the excessive fragments increased to around 177.
So much for a Defrag software.

I agree "PD" has a lot of bugs. Diskeeper 8.0 PRo is the way to go

tdinc said:
I agree "PD" has a lot of bugs. Diskeeper 8.0 PRo is the way to go
I agree too. At least Diskeeper reduces the number of fragmented files (even if it requires a 2nd attempt).

Should try out DIRMS, we were talking about it above. It is still working great for me.

Perris: According to the author the program protects against crashes/closing the program, during defragmentation.

perris said:
as far as speed, I'm pretty sure dk is faster then pd

Hi Perris,

Thanks for the post.

Actually, that depends on what we're talking about. How do you measure speed in this instance? Usually, we'd say that which ever program completes the task most quickly is faster.. however, if you have to run the program multiple times... is it really faster?

If a single, fast pass is desired, you can set PerfectDisk to "Defragment Only" which will skip the Smart Placement scheme and simply defrag the files, in a manner similar to DK.

Johnny said:
I got perfect disk and thought I would try it. I have a couple of issues with it. First let me say that I like it alot, it is a really nice defragger. But what happens is that everytime I reboot I get the problem when loading error, it asks me if I want to start in normal mode or go back to last known good config. Also when I do a scan it tells me to do a smartplacement scan after it is done, I scanned it three times in a row and the message still came up. Why is it doing this ??

Another question is what is the diff between the server version and workstation version ?? The one I had you were able to do network drives as well, in order for it to work you had to have the program on the computer as well ...

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for the post.

The server version installs on server OS's whilst the workstation version installs on workstation OS's.

Unfortunately, there is not enough information provided in this post to make an intelligent statement about what is going on with your pc. It's quite possible that you are running into a known issue betwixt PerfectDisk and another vendor, such as StyleXP, for instance.

Remember, PerfectDisk is normally defragging the drive using the Smart Placement scheme. This will recommend a defrag every single time that you run it since there is always some way to tweak the placement of the files.. even if it's simply metadata that can be moved.

Generally speaking, you should perform an online defrag and then an offline defrag pass. After this initial set is run, you can pretty much stay with the online defrag passes. Of course, if your machine does a lot of file creation/deletion, you'll find more benefit in running the offline defrag more often.

ming said:
Now I'm asking why do they sell a 'Defrag' software when it doesn't do the job it's meant to do? Putting consolidation of files a top priority just so that it can forget all about the defragmenting of files is silly. It should be doing both things at the same time, or at least doing one after another, not just consolidating and forgetting about the other important task.

Well, here's a screenie of the second time I 'defragged', or should I say the 'consolidation' of files AGAIN. Just look at the fragmented files.

Hi Ming,

Thanks for the post.

Actually, you may be surprised to learn that it does actually defrag and place files on the volume, just like we advertise :) We are an Optimized For and Designed for Windows XP application. Eh.. take that for what it's worth.

Since you only have 13 fragmented files on this report, i am unclear how you are ascertaing that it's "forget all about the defragmenting of files.."

Depending on the settings that you've selected for the software, you can have it simply defrag the files, and not worry about their placement on the system, or you can use the Smart Placement feature that will place files on the volume based on modification patterns and consolodate free space on the volume.

Also, depending on your OS, you can choose to have PerfectDisk manage the boot files, have Windows Manage the boot files, have PerfectDisk manage the Layout.ini files or have Windows manage them. These settings would, of course, effect the defragmentation operation.

what ming is trying to say is that even if he sets pd to dumb up, and just defrag without file placement, the program still can't defrag 100% of the drive, and his diskeeper does.

this is true jason...no matter what I do, there are times pd will not give all of my drives contiguous

myself, I prefer the attention to the consolidated drive, and file placement over a few fragments, but there are those that want that report to say 0 in the fragmented file column

now, for a couple of suggestions;

I would like the report to show an active directory when it displays fragmented files.

for instance, when the log represents "most fragmented files" I would like to click any one of those and have the file open, or the folder that the file is in to open.

then I can backup, delete, move or whatever a wayward file

the way the program works now, that information can't even be pasted

can do?

Perris understands. :)

I'd rather have both to be honest. Files consolidated, but fully defragmented.

I've used both and currently using Diskeeper. I haven't used PD in quite awhile but does it have the set it and forget it option now. Thats pretty much the main reason I've been using DK you don't have to spend any extra time defragging when it does it on the fly. Does O&O even have the set it and forget it option.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back