Pentium v Athlon

So answer the Q who sells the best chip at the moment?

THANKYOU!

Originally posted by UofEEE
Yes, yes...we've seen them a million times...move on already. If you don't put the cooler on the chip right, it's your fault. Just keep declaring victory with these petty little things...Don't just automatically think that a chip is better just because it burns up w/o a hsf. An intel would do the same without overheating protection..which all new Athlons have...

A quote from Tom's Hardware:-
Just like AMD's mobile Athlon4 processors, AthlonMP is based on AMD's new 'Palomino'-core, which will also be used in the upcoming AthlonXP processor. This core comes equipped with a thermal diode that is required for Mobile Athlon4's clock throttling abilities. Unfortunately Palomino is still lacking a proper on-die thermal protection logic. A motherboard that doesn't read the thermal diode is unable to protect the new Athlon processor from a heat death. We used a specific Palomino motherboard, Siemens' D1289 with VIA's KT266 chipset. Siemens assured us that the thermal protection circuitry is definitely working on their motherboard. So far we only know of Asus' A7V266 motherboard to include the thermal protection circuitry also.

Those pictures cannot show you what happened by far as good as our test-lab video. A split second after the heat sink had been taken off the Palomino-Athlon, the system crashed. We then watched in horror as smoke clouds rose from the overheating core. The temperature measurement ensured us of what we had feared. No semiconductor survives almost 300 degrees Celsius / 580 degrees Fahrenheit. Palomino was dead. We rushed to the telephone to confer with Siemens. The engineers assured us that what we had seen was for real. The thermal diode of Palomino is unable to react quickly enough. Only 1 degree/s is what the thermal diode is able to handle. That might be good enough for failing fans. A fallen off heat sink however will ensure a dead Athlon processor and possibly a damaged motherboard as well. What a serious disappointment! We speculate that the thermal diode was basically included into the Palomino core because of Mobile Athlon4. A mobile processor requires a thermal protection and a clock throttling logic. However, AMD never designed this minimal thermal protection management to handle incidents like the complete failure of a heat sink.

I hope that AMD have improved their protection!

Actually, all Mobos manufactured after a certain date (June? July?) are required by AMD to have cpu overheating protection feature on their motherboards. Which GA-7VRXP Rev. 2.0 has as well as the A7V333 and all newer boards which come out. At any rate, how many times has YOUR heatsink fallen off? Mine? Anyone? It has to be poorly installed for a problem to occur.

There are quite a few people who have had a fan failure, but dispite this now that AMD have solved the prob with overheating they should have no probs making a 2ghz chip for real. Still AMD actually recommend that you have a case fan also fitted as near to the CPU as poss as they know that the heat produced by the AMD chip is deprimental to the rest of the components and I'm sorry but the buzzing from 1 fan is enough (and yes it is supposed to be silent) 2 would annoy me even more!
Anyhow when will the Clawhammer, Sledgehammer and Mallet be on the market ?

The Athlons just run too hot, period. And from my recent experiences, I can safely say that, for at least the forseeable future, the Athlons will be on my $hit list.

At one time I used a P3-500e in my main pc. It was overclocked to 750MHz, and is still running strong at 750MHz in another pc i have in the house. I was in need for an upgrade. Now all my CPU's in the past had been Intels. The Pentium 4's were way to expensive, tho, for me to consider, and they fell behind the Athlon in terms of performance on a clock for clock basis. When the 1.3 GHz T'Birds came out, I decided to take the AMD plunge. I had the fastest CPU out there and it dumped all over Intel's early Pentium 4's. Now about a little less than a year ago, a buddy of mine was looking for an upgrade. He had an Intel P3 1GHz, and was seriously toying with getting a P4. I managed to convince him to go with an AthlonXP 1800+. Well, his first one was gradually dying. And it did eventually die. He ended up returning it to NewEgg and getting a new one. THAT one worked. dead.

Now I had noticed something about my CPU's temp. It had been running, at one time, at 42c i believe it was. Now it was running at 58c idle. Something was wrong with my CPU. Was it nearing the end of it's life?? You bet. SO rather than wait for the thing to croak an an inopertune time, i elected to upgrade to an AthlonXP. I bought a 2000+. And wouldn't you frikin' know it, the cpu ran for less tha 2 minutes, then completley shut down and refused to do anything. I thought it mught have been a bad board, (Asus A7V266E). So i sent it to my aforementioned friend and slapped it into his board. The thing was fried. AMD later confirmed this when I sent the retail packaged CPU back to them for replacement. The only problem was that I had to wait 3 weeks for a replacement as the retailer wouldn't do squat for me. But i still had that 1.33!!!! threw that in. Worked great for about a week. Then it refused to boot into Windows at 1.3GHz. I had to clock the damn thing down to 1GHz to do anything. It was obvious that this cpu wasnt going to cut for another machine i had plan to assemble for my youger sister to take to college this fall. I ended up picking up a 1700+ for cheap and ran that till i got the replacement 2000+. I recieved the new one, retail packaged like the original and all. I crossed just about every appendage on my body, hoping that it would work. And it did! Cool, I thought.

Now this brings us to 2 weeks ago. I started to have the same problem my friend did with his original 1800+. During ANY game, wether it was Tiger Woods 2002, Return To Castle Wolfenstein, NHL 2002....the list goes on, It would just crash right to my desktop for no appearant reason. Well, after several reformats, shuffeling of components to various PCI slots, drivers, etc. the damn thing refused to even install WindowsXP. You would not believe the four letter words flying from my mouth. I tell you it was worse than an episode of 'The Osbournes'.

But i had still had that 1700+ i was gonna put in my sister's pc for college. And just for $hits and giggles, I threw it in. BOOM! It had worked. you know what this meant don't you? Another DEAD! DEAD! DEAD! DEAD! DEAD! DEAD! AMD ATHLON!!!! That new 2000+ was gone!!!! AAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess what my next upgrade will be.......

C'Mon...take a guess.........

An Intel P4..... No more AMD for me. I was giving my buddy all sorts of friendly crap when he replaced his '2ND' 1800+ with a 2.26GHz Northwood. I was like, "What in the hell are you doing on the Darkside?" and what not. Just like you would if your friend is a Steelers fan and u are a Giants fan. Now I feel kinda bad. He had the right idea in going with the P4, and went through several less CPU's than I did before taking the next step.

There is something wrong with the current crop of AMD cpu's. They run WAY too hot, they get hotter, and they eventually will die. That has been my ex-perience with them. And that will end my experience with them. From what I have seen from my friends Northwood setup, it promises to be a faster, more stable, cooler running setup than anything has to offer at this time.:mad:

I've been saying it all along, go with a P4 and enjoy your quad pumped eXPerience. You pay a little bit more now, but you save ten-fold in the future. Look at me, I never have any sort or hardware problem (or software/driver for that matter). It's just been a quad pumped joyful eXPerience!

Anyone whom YOU disagree with you FLAME, that shows you immaturity.

I say again, GROW UP PUNK!

Hey Catch, you are the one that started resorting to name calling because you dont agree with MY OPINION. You are not being very diplomatic, nor have you ever been in these forums to my knowlege. If you dont agree with MY OPINION, the you should have given yours and explained it, or shut the hell up.

I liked AMD very much untill recently. And it is my decision wether I want to continue using their CPU's. I thought i explained myself quite well. You on the other hand get all infintile and revert back to the mentality and maturity of a 3 year old every time somebody's opinion doesn't agree with yours. Grow up.

No hard feelings.

Athlons DO NOT run too hot...my 1800+ is runninat 40°C now...that's not bad when my room is nearly 80°F now....

You have to understand that they DO MORE than Pentium 4s..so THEY SHOULD GET HOT...you have to know how to cool them, which you obviously don't.....

Well, yours may run cool, albeit not as cool as a P4 at 2.53 GHz, but either you have have one out of 1,000 that actually work the way they were meant to, or you have your motherboard bathing in a tub of liquid nitrogen. All i can say is that I have the AC cranking, there are (2) 92mm fans blowing directly over my CPU and Video Card, 2 exaust fans in back, another intake in front, a Thermalright SK6/7,000rpm fan on the cpu. Oh, and IT"S INSTALLED PROPERLY!!! Still, this 1700+ that I'm using for the mean time is running at 53c idle. That is TOO HOT!

Oh, and one more thing..... Grinder is not the only one of the opinion that you are what he said you are 7 posts up......

Hey Catch, what you pay for a OZ of Liquid Nitrogen on your area :p :cool:

Originally posted by catch23
That Pentium 4 runs cool BECAUSE IT DOESN'T DO AS MUCH WORK

Don't you understand that? Pentiums do 3 operations per clock cycle...AthlonXPs do 9 ... when your Pentium 4 gets hot..it does even less ...my AthlonXP just lets itself get warmer ... .

...and then eventually dies......:rolleyes:

Originally posted by catch23
By the wya, Grinder is the arrogant ******* if you'd been here longer, you would understand...

n00bs..heh

ROFL, that's precious.

Mabye "morons" should not install cpus...when they dont know what they are doing....

I believe that how you said it...

Catch there is a football game on, I dont have time for you're Bull$hit right now...mabye tomorrow, doubt it....but mabye.

Why are you telling me to grow up...when you're putting other characters into words...

Well, we're telling you to grow up because you have yet to.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back