Pentium v Athlon

Originally posted by AKHeero
I'm surprised that this hasn't turned into a flame war like it usually does. I think everybody should be proud of themselves for having an actual discussion.

:D
:p

Originally posted by TwoZigzagColt45
;) What are your reasons for buying your brand of chip ???
I bought an athlon 1.4 & fried it & the motherboard (the heat sink fan stopped)
So I got a P4 because I wanted this chip to last a lifetime, it makes sense to me that the least heat will have the least stress on surrounding components the longer the life span.
what do think ?
Do you even care ?
;)

dijital xsivforce just like to remind you this is not meant to be a debate
;)
dijital what chip do you use ?
what are your reasons for buying your chip ?
;)

Reasons for AMD over Intel..............

1. Cheaper
2. Does everything I need it to do, anything more powerful or expensive is a waste of money better spent.
3. I love not wasting money especially not throwing it at monopolies like Intel.

IMO
Software and humans are beginning to hit an intellectual brick wall where currently the extra speed and power is not being used to full potential by current programming other than to glorify a few extra points on a benchmark, a few extra frames you wont see in a game or make grandstands over nanoseconds that a process finishes quicker, at the end of the day in a blind test the average person wouldn't be able to tell the difference running most programs on any of the top CPU's that either Intel or AMD market.
Like cracking a nut with a sledge hammer. ;)

Originally posted by W.G.A.F
IMO
Software and humans are beginning to hit an intellectual brick wall where currently the extra speed and power is not being used to full potential by current programming other than to glorify a few extra points on a benchmark, a few extra frames you wont see in a game or make grandstands over nanoseconds that a process finishes quicker, at the end of the day in a blind test the average person wouldn't be able to tell the difference running most programs on any of the top CPU's that either Intel or AMD market.
Like cracking a nut with a sledge hammer. ;)
:D That is so true

Yup.

My main box is ONLY an Athlon 900. Built it almost 2yrs ago, but it still does everything I throw at it comfortably. Ok, so the frame rates on the very latest games are a little low but I can live with that for the time being.

To answer the original post I bought AMD cause 1. It was cheap 2. Good experience with my previous K6-2 (performance vs. price) and thats still going too (Grandmothers got it now I think).

I also have an old IBM 486 SX 50 running in the other room. Regularly banish my housemate to it to write letters and stuff. It's also still used to run a few classic & archaic games - cannon fodder, Flashback and Elite plus (is there a better space trader out there?) to name 3.

My pennys worth.

AMD rule they r the best chips ever!
at burning maybe!

AMD Athlon XP 2200+ (1.80GHz) "Thoroughbred" Core
£182.12
2.266 GHz *533FSB* Intel Pentium® P4 CPU 512k Cache * S478 * £216.46

For the £34 difference I know which chip is better the rest of you AMD lovers can think wot u like!
P.S. the XP2000+ is a model because if AMD made a 2gig processor it would be hotter than a Supernova.
supernova.jpg

I bought a P4 because when the job needs to be done it will be done. Accomplished, without stutter, excuse or hesitation of anykind and at lightening speed.

When the executive order is given to begin command processing, the processing unit will execute the given command without discrimination to ambient temperature, thermal paste properties, or board temperature. .:D Oh, and they overclock like a mutha!:D

my mom uses a P100 to do quicken and such, and i used that sucker to play games up until december of 1999. and then i used my p3 500MHz from end of '99 till a month ago, before i got my newest processor.

Hey...i was wondering...a celeron 1.4 ghz doesn't excist...i've got the fastest with the tualatin core, that's 1.3 ghz oc'd to 1.48 ghz, they don't come faster with the tualatin core...so i don't know what processor u own...but i think the guys that sold it to you screwed you...or there has to be something i don't know...

:D ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Goldy & SnookBooger

Very true

For example:- yesterday in my home town Bolton was the hottest day of the year, in the 90s. I've never seen my P4 so hot it was nearly 10 degrees hotter than its ever been before - a whopping 42c under full load.

Had that been an Athlon????????
The money saved would of gone on
1. More effective HSF
2. More & bigger case fans
3. Air conditioning

Thats just getting silly cos the AMD is costing way too much

Wipes sweat of forehead glad I bought a pentium its way too hot to argue

;)

To the person who said that Athlons are overclocked when they leave the factory, how did you come up with that? Isn't that kinda impossible? Just like Intel, AMD does test it's chips for the max speed, and give it a comfortable speed (i.e. 900, when it can really run at 1.2 just fine, ect. ect.) No offense, but Tom's Hardware isn't a real reliable source, in my opinion. And yes, Intel does have the better processor out now, I'll say that myself. However, it's a never ending war. Why can't we just move on from bashing AMD and Intel and focus on what they have to offer. It always turns into "AMD is better because" and "Intel owns because". You know what, in the end, it's not going to matter. ALL OF YOUR COMPUTERS ARE OBSOLETE RIGHT NOW. Chew on that one...so really, even if you have the fastest computer out right now, there's always one in development waiting to make your purchase seem like yesterday's news. And you all talk about AMD fandom...Intel owners are just as bad. No offense, but you're all becoming the same way...Touting the P4 as the latest and greatest and that there's absolutely nothing bad about them. Well, kids, I got news for ya...both companies have problems, and that's just life. Seems like we just waste our breath everytime we talk about this...by the way, where's catch when ya need him?

For those that still belive in AMD this is a pic of 4 chips that where tested by toms hardware in worst case senario conditions
e.g. the heatsink and fan where not fitted

Before

cpu1.jpg

After

cpu2.jpg

Yes, yes...we've seen them a million times...move on already. If you don't put the cooler on the chip right, it's your fault. Just keep declaring victory with these petty little things...Don't just automatically think that a chip is better just because it burns up w/o a hsf. An intel would do the same without overheating protection..which all new Athlons have...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back