Pentium M CPU Question

apu95

Caffeine-->Code Converter
As you can see, I have a laptop with a Pentium M 730 CPU (1.6 ghz). CPU-Z shows that it uses the mPGA-479M package.

I (stupidly, I know) bought a Pentium M 760 CPU (2.0 ghz) off eBay, and assumed it also had the same package. After paying for it, I decided to look at the properties of said CPU, only to find out that there's two types for this CPU. One that with an sSpec# SL7SM (which is the one I bought), and it uses 478 pins. The other one has an sSpec# SL7SQ, and it uses 479 pins.

I can't believe I made this rookie mistake :dead:

Does anyone know if I can use the 478 pin CPU safely in my laptop? I'm not sure what that extra pin does...

Thanks!
Apu

I could be a bit off here, but the 479pin models are the true Pentium M Processors. They replaced the 478pin models because they weren't up to snuff with performance and generated too much heat. I know there are upgrade kids to go from 478 to 479 pin sockets, but not sure if you can go backwards.

EDIT: As an addendum, here's a decent review regarding the 478 to 479 process...

http://www.legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=178

Some pictures there, which also show the upgrade kits to let you run it. As I said before, not sure if reverse engineering is a possibility.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back