Pentium 133

R

Reka

Hi Guys,

I have an old Pentium 133, i plan to make use of it but do not know what i can do with it.

Can it's performance be good enough to run Linux GUI ?

Some have suggested to me that i can use it as a gateway, What is a gateway anyway? Is it some sort of a firewall? I don't realli think i need a firewall as i'm not running a server or anything, noone would want to hack me.

Can it support the latest Linux?
Or would i have to install an old version of a linux.

Thx

Originally posted by Reka
Can it's performance be good enough to run Linux GUI ?
It might be able to run some kind of X with a simple window manager, but I wouldn't hope for too much.

Some have suggested to me that i can use it as a gateway, What is a gateway anyway? Is it some sort of a firewall?
Yes, it's a router. Just like your ordinary Linksys or Netgear or whatever. Except if you've got it on Linux you can have any goodies you want, packet inspection, virtual servers, proxy, traffic shaping, you name it.

I don't realli think i need a firewall as i'm not running a server or anything, noone would want to hack me.
This is a common missconseption. It's not about if people want to "hack" you, it's to protect you against most of the nasty stuff floating around the Internet (worms, trojans). It's never foolproof however.

Can it support the latest Linux?
Or would i have to install an old version of a linux.
No, I don't think installing any of the latest commersial distributions would be a good idea (RedHat, Mandrake), the computer most likely won't handle it. A distribution that can be made more suitable for your limited hardware would be better (Debian, Slackware and many more).
However, if you are thinking of running this as a router/gateway/firewall, I suggest you use a distribution that is made for this, especially if you don't feel at home around Linux. I'd recommend Smoothwall (www.smoothwall.org), it's very simple to set up and works very well. They are soon releasing their 2.0 version.

Is it some sort of a firewall? I don't realli think i need a firewall as i'm not running a server or anything, noone would want to hack me.

This isn't a smart way to think, these days you MUST run a firewall (hardware or software) and have Antivorus protection.

If you have a broadband connection (cable or DSL) then a hcker could use your computer as a server or something.

Thanks for answering my post and especially Zedric for explaining to me.

Can you explain to me how do i run a router/gateway/firewall?

Say if i am running on a gateway, does that mean i will have to connect to the internet using the gateway instead of my main computer?

How will a gateway protect me from worms/trojans/viruses when i'm still doing download using my main computer?

Does that mean the gateway itself can read and inspect all the data's that are received from the internet?

Many have suggested smoothwall linux, but do you think a pentium133 is able to handle it ?

Thx

I would go with Zedric said and have it running Smoothwall - its what i did with my old box!
The minimum spec for a Smoothwall box is a 486, you'll be fine ;)
If you have any probs with it, give me a shout and I'll see what I can do. Ive been running Smoothwall for about 4 months or so now without hassle, Im very impressed with it.

Say if i am running on a gateway, does that mean i will have to connect to the internet using the gateway instead of my main computer?
Yes, exactly so. So your main computer doesn't have to be on in order for any other computer to reach the Internet.

How will a gateway protect me from worms/trojans/viruses when i'm still doing download using my main computer?
The firewall will protect you from this:
- Automatically installed viruses and worms like Blaster and Wencha.
- Trojans that allows people to connect to your computer, like spam trojans or DDOS zombies.
- I think Smoothwall can hande DOS-attacks, but I'm not sure.

It will NOT protect you against:
- Viruses/trojans/spyware you download. This includes any email-viruses and viruses/trojans you get through the browser or Kazaa or whatever.
- Trojans and spyware that send out information about you computer.

Does that mean the gateway itself can read and inspect all the data's that are received from the internet?
Yes, the gateway can inspect all the data, but only to a certain degree. It can stop traffic that comes through certain ports, or are marked a special (suspicious) way, but it generally can't tell viruses or trojans from ordinary data.

Many have suggested smoothwall linux, but do you think a pentium133 is able to handle it ?
Like Unleashed said, that is no problem.

Good luck to you if you decide to make this a project! =)

I've been told that if i want to make a gateway, i will need to have a router/switch/hub.

Does that mean i will have to buy a hardware to connect the computer and make a network ?
Is there no other way to connect?

I've been told that if i want to make a gateway, i will need to have a router/switch/hub.

Does that mean i will have to buy a hardware to connect the computer and make a network ?
Is there no other way to connect?
This is how it's connected:

Code:
Internet (DSL/Cable modem?)
   |
 Gateway
  /  \
Computers

In this case, if you have only two other computers you can have a total of three NICs in the gateway (one for Internet, and one each for the computers).

If you have more than two computers (or if you want to anyway) you should get a hub or switch (not router though, the gateway is the router) to place between the gateway and the other computers. Like this:

Code:
Internet (DSL/Cable modem?)
    |
  Gateway
    |
Hub/switch
  / | \
 Computers

The latter solution is the more correct one, but the first one may save some cash in some situations. However, the first one might be a little trickier to set up.

How will i connect the computers to the gateway ?
Does that mean i will have to buy a switch ?

How will i connect the computers to the gateway ?
Does that mean i will have to buy a switch ?
*points to previous post*
Look at the figures. It's all there. The '/', '|' and '\' are cables.

Some of it depends on the details of your current setup though. Like what kind of connection you have, ethernet or usb and so on.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back