PDF 47 page = 27M file

dave holbon

OSNN Veteran Addict
Can anyone tell me why a 47 page PDF document translates to a 27M download. This is from a UK Gov site?

Big? They are huge!

Now that I think about it, just about every Adobe file is huge.

Just if you are wondering Dave, PDFs are big because they are high resolution images. Each page converted into a pdf format is a seperate image. These images are combined together to form a single file.

Reg: -

I have a Epson 890. Everytime I try to print these files there seems to be a tint to each page, consumes large amounts of black ink. The print quality is not very good either by modern day standards.

Is there a utility that can convert PDF files to .DOC files with no loss in quality?

There is only one program I can think of, but it's not free and the quality is horrible.

As for the tint, that is normal because there is an aliasing applied to each page. If you wanted to increase the print quality, you will need to open it in Photoshop and render it with sharpness.

I hate using PDF files. Much rather scroll through a word document. What's the fascination with them anyway?

its the supposed portablility....the idea being that not everyone has office on their computer (PC or Mac) and it costs to put it on anyway.

for a small free download, any user on any pc on i tihnk any operating system can download acrobat, and read a pdf.

thus no more file format combatibility issues.

good idea. however i would think that almost every modern pc and mac would had office on it now...

You'd be surprised seeme. With Microsoft's new EULA, most PC venders are shipping Office as a paid upgrade. Now, when you buy a PC, you get Word 2002 only.

As for PDF's, seeme is right. They were made for two reasons, portability and security.

PDF's can be read on any PC with the free reader.

Since PDF's are images, they can be encrypted, protected, etc. When creating the documents, the creator has a ton of options to use, such as password protecting it, preventing printing of it, preventing editing of it, digitally signing it (which would make it unreadable to anyone who doesn't have the signature key), and so on.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back