PCLinuxOS to access Windows shared files

Discussion in 'Linux & BSD' started by Heeter, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Hey all,

I am wondering if anyone here knows how to get PClinuxOS to access Windows shared folders. I need read/write access.

I really like this distro, because it has everything I like, but it simply doesn't what to access the shared folders from my Windows machine.

I am at te point that I am trying to create a mount point with Samba, My Windows machine is listed on the "Available servers" list, I can input a user/pass/workgroup name into the authentication, but it doesn't do anything after that.

I tried posting this question on their forums, but with little support from them.

Thanks,

Heeter

2. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

ntfs-3g would be your best option, although samba should work

3. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

No.

This is a samba related question, and he is trying to mount across the network. ntfs-3 won't do any good here.

4. Dark Atheist

thought ntfs-3g was a replacement for the driver that ships with most kernels, allowing direct access to the drive, and i had samba in there so i was partly right ;)

5. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

direct access

Need I say more?

6. Dark Atheist

you know what i mean - if your dual booting - it claims to offer read and write support :) , and yes i releaise he was asking about network now, if your on the meds i am things like rather different than they are ;)

7. Heeter

Thanks guys,

But I am still stuck.

I really want to give a Linux workstation a go within a Windows workgroup environment. This PCLinuxOS samba worked with a dualboot setup and accessing files from the dualboot drive, but samba wants nothing to do with the Windows network. Their forums have not helped at all.

I already have OpenOffice on all Windows workstations, working without a hitch.

But Linux does need to have full read/write priviledges to all the files on those Windows shared drives and folders.

Is there maybe another full workstation distro that can have samba working better (maybe even out of the box)?

Thanks,

Heeter

8. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

How did you configure samba? Did you add the users to samba via smbpasswd

9. Heeter

I did not even get to that point J,

I am still at the point of trying to "see" the windows shared folders so I can mount them.

Heeter

10. j79zlr

Well you need to configure samba and add the proper users before it will work. What happens if you type "smbtree" at a command line?

Heeter likes this.
  11. Dark Atheist

smb.conf

[global]
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    sync always = no
    hide dot files = no
    interfaces = eth0
    encrypt passwords = true
    netbios name = NAME_HERE
    oplocks = no
    delete readonly = yes
    locking = no
    workgroup = GROUP_HERE
    debug level = 0
    hosts deny = ALL
    hosts allow = 192.168.1.
    security = user
    bind interfaces only = yes
    printing = cups
    printcap name = cups
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=16384 SO_SNDBUF=16384

[system]
    comment = Home
    valid users = USER_HERE
    path = /home/username
    read only = no
    available = yes
    browseable = yes
    writable = yes
    public = no

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    browseable = no
    guest ok = no
    printable = yes

[print$]
    comment = Printer Drivers
    path = /usr/share/cups/drivers
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    read only = yes

change as required, this config works fine for me, you will have to add users to the smbpasswd file on the linux pc, smbpasswd -a username

12. Heeter

Thanks J,

Thanks Carpo,

When I get back, I will answer back as right now, I am not in front of that machine.

Can' wait to see if I can get this to work,

Heeter

13. Heeter

Hey J,

I typed in smbtree into a command line, and nothing happened. The command line window just disappears.

But if I open it in Konsole, I attached the screenie.

Heeter

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  14. Heeter

Hi Carpo,

Where would I add these lines into smb.conf? At the end? Should I post a copy of my smb.conf file here?

Heeter

15. Dark Atheist

that is my full smb.conf - dont need all the other fancy stuff - just the bare bones ;)

16. Heeter

Thanks a million, Carpo.

One quick question, The IP address of the "hosts allow" is the server Windows machine?

I have copied n' pasted your smb.conf post.

I have finally been able to put shortcuts on my desktop now to my shared Windows folders. There are still a few quirks. Like double clicking on the shortcut keeps asking for my server password. Opening a document opens OpenOffice Writer, but then OO asks for a password again and I am not able to play music from the server folder, but I have to download it to the desktop. I am thinking that all this just means I don't have full permissions to the folders yet. I haven't mounted anything yet, should I, or does this smb.conf editing moves past all that?

But I am now closer than I was before in the last two weeks.

If I get this password/permission things resolved, this is going to be our main workstation. I can't wait, Yahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heeter

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  17. Dark Atheist

what desktop are you using gnome/kde/xfce ? I know under kde there is an option in the control panel to put in the user and pass for samba, other thing is make sure the user on the linux pc is using the same log/pass as the windows account, that way it wont ask for the log/pass any more, or put log/pass in and tell it to remember it for the session

18. Heeter

I am using KDE.

It does ask for the password, and it does remember it for the session, but I will change the username/password to being the same as the Windows Server. I will see how that goes.

I am wondering since I just replaced the smb.conf contents with your post, does the "hosts allow" ip address that of the Windows Server? The file path for all the stuff matches except for the the last one "path = /usr/share/cups/drivers" There is no drivers folder in the cups folder, should I just create one there, or do you think that it might exist somewhere else, and that I would need to change the file path in this smb.conf file? I have not installed a printer yet.

Thanks again,

Heeter

19. j79zlr

Somehow I think you are making this harder than it really is. Networking Windows and Linux with Samba is fairly straightforward. Do you have identical user acconts with passwords on both Linux and Windows? Is this XP Home or Pro?

Lets get the shares working then start adding printers., they can be a little more touchy.

20. Dark Atheist

could have sworn i said to do that too :D

thats how i have it on my linux/nix/windows network - 1 log 1 pass makes life so much easier :)