PCI-Express

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by lancer, Dec 20, 2004.

1. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

Is it possible to get a PCI-Express Card to put in my current motherboard, which is not PCI-Express, so i can buy a PCI-Express V/card without having to buy a brand new motherboard?

If not what is a good PCI Motherboard, if i have to buy a new one i'd look at a price range of $100-$150 dollars. (MSI and Giga-Byte are my fav co's at present)

Thanks

2. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

Also i should mention i'd need a motherboard with 4 mem slots and one that supports dual channels.

3. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

not sure bout pci-e expansion cards, but gigabyte is releasing the K8NXP-9 and K8NXP-SLi mobos very soon. I've been waiting for those since Novemeber. NF4 on board with Dual gigabit LAN. 4xSATA, 4xSATA2. =) Hot stuff.

4. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

oh, forgot to mention, I think manufacturers are only implementing PCI-e on AMD64/Semperon boards only for the time being, not sure if there will be anymore new Athlon boards though. So it may look like you'll need to go for a major upgrade if you want the stuff.

lancer likes this.
  5. logisticprism

logisticprism Time Dr. Freeman?

uh, lancer, i don't think so. having a card that would convert pci to pci express would defeat the purpose of even having pci express in the first place. you're gonna need a major upgrade if you don't have a 64 bit processor yet (for AMD). i'm not sure about this if you have an intel based system.

lancer likes this.