PC won't start

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by brocher, Aug 1, 2005.

1. brocher

brocher Moderator

My pc has just shutdown and won't restart properly.
    to start with it couldn't find the secon HDD and would shutdown after a few minutes, now it gets as far as the black screen and gives the warning " CPU HAS OVERHEAT" or something. I cannot tell mcuh more about this as i am offshore and the wife has descibed this over the phone. Any idaes on how to fix this?

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Sounds like the cpu fan has given up. Not much you can do till you get home unless the wife is a bit savvy with replacing things inside the case.

3. brocher

brocher Moderator

I asked her to look inside the unit and both fans (CPU and CASE) are working ok and ASUS PROBE never alarmed.

4. brocher

brocher Moderator

OK i have managed to get the pc running again, just a dusty heat sink (overheating and shutting itself down.Now for the next bit , i have a 2nd HDD which is found by the bios and in device manager. But any shortcut to this device and on the my computer list of drives and things it is not listed and cannot connect the shortcuts. Any ideas on how to remedy this?

5. LANDSER

LANDSER Achtung soldat!

What OS are you using? Also to clarify, it's listed in your BIOS and Device Manager but not in My Computer?