Pc to Pc files transfer with crossover cable...help!!!

Techno Child said:
that means that she cannot open his case Lee :) ... that usb fix should do the trick though... if it does, maybe a jumpdrive would be the best thing...

The "lay it on the table suggestion" was for connecting the floppy drive to the '98 system to get drivers installed.

Admiral Michael said:
Why not just buy a hard drive case enclosure and do it that way, then you will have a handy external drive to use for backups and such.

A good point. The XP machine should recognize any cheap $20 HD enclosure just fine. Then you can use the HD enclosure to make backups of the XP machine onto the old hard drives.

I bought an external floppy and tried to copy the driver for the usb flash into a floppy disc but I realized that a floppy only can hold 1.4MB and the size of the driver is 3.8 or something like that. I sent the dirver by email and copied it on a folder in the desktop. It is a zip file and after I unzipped it tried to install the driver from the Device Manager but when it ask me to choose a location the "OK" button is greyout and I can't choose that option. It shows me the A: drive, E: , or C:windows...this one is a path for the HP printer usb that uses the usb that I have the usb floppy on.
It is very deceiving what I'm going thru right now since I want to get an A+ certification. I've tried everything I've learned going to trainning classes. Why can't I install the driver for the usb flash? The CD in the old computer doesn't work either because I didn't have the time to look into the problem before I closed the case after screwing up the motherboard.

Or just sign up for Gmail, use the Gmail drive program, and upload your files to a 1GB online storage (Gmail), then go to the other machine and download the files.

hey you can try hyperterminal..... you will use a telephone line to you modem and you must go to your friends house to tap another modem to her telephone line..then call using hyperterminal...or let your freind call your house' number then let her send the files..

errrrr.... kinda risky though...

slow. :p

I'd go for the external drive idea or the gmail drive idea if you don't want to spend money.

Last edited:
Well I finally solved the problem. I bought a HD enclosure practiced with an old HD and convinced my husbadn that nothing could go wrong this way and I was able to get to his pc HD's. Now he is very happy with his computer and I'm happy too for getting him off my back with this problem. Thank you guy veeeeery much for helping me...I learned things that I didn't know about troubleshuting pcs. I love you all!

Ada

Guys.. i just want to add up... i cant link up a my 2 PCs in a crossover connection... im using win XP SP2... im planning to play games using LAN...with my younger sister but in would detect any...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back