PC to Laptop

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ElementalDragon, Jun 15, 2003.

1. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

I just got a new laptop on friday. I want to transfer some files from my PC to the laptop using the network cable i use for my Cable Modem. Well, before i even ask, Is that even possible using the network cable, or do i need a certain kind of network cable to do that? And if i can do it with the cable modem's network cable, what is the easiest way to configure the two to be able to share the files?

2. brodie

brodie OSNN Addict

you won't manage it with a standard network cable, you need a crossover cable to connect two machines directly.

Do you a a burner in the pc? is so might be easier to just burn the files and copy on to laptop.

3. ElementalDragon

that's just the thing. right now my CD burner is on the fritz. if you go into the general Hardware forums or search for it, the thread i made titled "CD burner problem. Need help" describes the problem.

4. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

If you can borrow a HUB from someone you can plug the PC and Laptop into the hub and they can talk.

5. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Use a crossover cable to connect the two boxes together, then assign static IP addresses to each one, and they should be able to communicate. Just map the drives, and you're set. :)

6. ElementalDragon

n/m, i figured out why my CD-RW drive didn't work. If you wanna see how much of an idiot i feel like i've made myself, go check the thread i told you about in the last post.