PC Starts Itself

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by SupaTek, Apr 27, 2005.

1. SupaTek

SupaTek OSNN Addict

I have recently built a new pc. P4, Gigabyte 478 mobo, 512 DDR. Lan, Audio and video onboard mobo, 80 gb Hard Drive WinXP Pro SP1.

The problem is, that after i shutdown using Windows ( i.e. start button> turn off computer), the PC will suddenly start itself up again randomly, it could be after 5 mins or 5 hours.
    When the computer is turned off by holding in the on/off button, it stays off.
    Any help please?
    Thnx

2. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Check out to see if you have wake on lan or something enabled, or wake on mouse movement - these options should be in your bios.

3. SupaTek

SupaTek OSNN Addict

I'll give that a try and post back.
    Thnx

4. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

There was about a week, for some reason, that turning off my TV would turn on my PC. :)

5. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

its posessed.. or maybe the case switch or the wires to the switch is somehow shorting thus connecting the switch to power on the pc

6. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Lol? I wonder what that could have been. AC power drop that reset the PSU and triggered an "auto ON after power fail"?

7. Eagle710

Eagle710 OSNN Senior Addict

sounds freaky ... something from a mystery movie.....but still it makes life complete

8. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Power surges when you turn stuff on and off at home can trigger the "power on after failure" if you have it set in bios. Change the bios to "saty off after a power failure".

And put a good surge protector on the PC. It sounds like you have a soft power network in your house. That's dangerous. If your competent to do it pop the cover off the breaker panel and snug down all the screws connecting the wires to the breakers. If you have aluminum wiring just sell the place and move.

9. Eck

Eck .user

Do doors open themselves? Faucets suddenly turn on? Sounds like there's a ghost in your house. Yeah, you know you just got a cold chill up your spine. :-D

10. SupaTek

SupaTek OSNN Addict

I've fiddled around with the bios power settings (disabled wake up on lan etc) and so far it seems to be ok.

11. NathanA

NathanA OSNN Addict

Oh man, i needed a good laugh today...CALL THE EXORCIST!!!

Seriously...check ur bios man...I had a friend with that mobo and it was a bit finicky at first...

12. vivid_vibe

vivid_vibe OSNN Senior Addict

I would have to agree.

13. cldeans

cldeans OSNN One Post Wonder

Hey SupaTek

Did this solve the problem? Becs we are having the same problem, even after checking the BIOS - I think we got everything in the wake up turned off, but the computer is still restarting itself after hours...

Cate

14. fimchick

fimchick OSNN Senior Addict

Turn off ACPI power settings in the BIOS.

15. SupaTek

SupaTek OSNN Addict

Yeah, it's working fine now.

16. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

believe it or not, when I had my old mac I could turn it on with my friends tv remote