PC Keeps Rebooting

There were a few hits on your problem. In the other posts the problem was related to heavy downloads (big files or torrents). It seems to be the Nvidia drivers but could be a hardware issue (sickly chipset) since there did not seem to be many posts on it like I would expect if it was just drivers. Is it still under warantee by any chance?

BTW The other posts were for multiple MB's (including ASUS) so it's not just a gateway problem.

It was purchased with a 3 yr warantee but I voided that once I opened the box :(

It's odd because I've always downloaded torrents, this problems just started the day I started this thread. Suppose I could install a different NIC card and see if that fixes the problem.

This is a Gateway PC, the MB model is GM5052E. I looked on Gateway's site and the MB package driver patch contains:

The files included in this package are:
* Ethernet NRM driver version 50.09 (WHQL)
* Network management tools version 50.09
* SMBus driver version 4.50 (WHQL)
* Installer version 4.90
* Win2K IDE SATARAID driver version 6.22 (WHQL)
* Win2K IDE SATA_IDE driver version 6.22 (WHQL)
* Win2K RAIDTOOL application version 6.22
* WinXP IDE SATARAID driver version 6.22 (WHQL)
* WinXP IDE SATA_IDE driver version 6.22 (WHQL)
* WinXP RAIDTOOL application version 6.22

Which is what I have installed already. As a side note, the PC seems to reboot when I'm downloading torrents using Azureus *shrug* Uploading is fine it's downloading that gives me BSOD

Stop D/Ling torrents for a few days and see if it stops. That's if you can stop. Also as a possible work around, if you have Opera web browser installed it has it's own Torrent thingy built in. Use it for a while and see if anything changes, or as I said before, STOP D/Ling torrents for a week. :p

im guessing this ismt the prob but seeing as that is a amd box (according to specs i saw on gateway site) have you installed the amd cpu driver? i had a few issues untill i installed that

it looks like you have the same pc as me (built mine tho didnt have much money but it will do), sounds to my rather limited tech knolowdege that it might be bottle necking http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/amdcpusetup.exe

Call them for support anyway. They can't deny you service because you opened the computer.

I downloaded and installed the latest drivers on the Gateway site, will see how that works. I was able to download 2 files since installing soooo....

latest drivers and the amd driver should sort you out :) heres hoping :p

Call them for support anyway. They can't deny you service because you opened the computer.

Don't tell them you opened it... duuuuh. :D

Or is there some sort of seal?

Let's just say it hasn't rebooted since I installed the drivers. Thanks for asking and for the help Carpo.

Carpo -
So the AMD cpu driver for windows XP helps with networking problems or is it a chipset driver you were talking about?

If it's the CPU driver, Interesting. I have 2 new NIC cards that do not work right and an old 10 mbps one that does. I think I'll install the AMD CPU driver and see if I can get that 10 gbps NIC working.

Jewelzz -
RANT! How the hell are you supposed to clean the dust out of your HSFs if you void the warantee by openiong the box? That is the stupidest thing I ever heard and you can probably beat it on the dusting claim if you try.

As for seals... For future referecne, heat is a wonderfull thing. You can lift most stickers by careful use of a hot comb. It softens the glue. Sometimes at work we like to find out what our suppliers have been up to without them knowing we know. ;)

LeeJend you need an authorized Gateway employee to do such a delicate procedure such as blowing dust out of the case! A layperson could do something dangerous inside that case like install non-Gateway authorized RAM.

Carpo -

Jewelzz -
RANT! How the hell are you supposed to clean the dust out of your HSFs if you void the warantee by openiong the box? That is the stupidest thing I ever heard and you can probably beat it on the dusting claim if you try.

As for seals... For future referecne, heat is a wonderfull thing. You can lift most stickers by careful use of a hot comb. It softens the glue. Sometimes at work we like to find out what our suppliers have been up to without them knowing we know. ;)

This was a spiffy seal, it was a plain silver sticker until I peeled it off now it says some crap on it

Carpo -
So the AMD cpu driver for windows XP helps with networking problems or is it a chipset driver you were talking about?

i was having near same issue as Jewelzz and after a bit of googling it was said that xp when launched did not fully support dual core - and i was advised to install that, and since then i have had few issues and xp seems a bit faster too

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back