Pc-bsd

Discussion in 'Linux & BSD' started by Dark Atheist, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

2. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

I use PC-BSD on one of my laptops, and it is actually faster than my hand installed FreeBSD 6.2 with Xfce running on top of it. The OS is nicely tweaked for performance and speed.

It is great as a desktop replacement and has been hailed as the Ubuntu of the FreeBSD world. It use KDE instead of gnome as a window manager, so it could also be seen as Kubuntu. I have it running on a 1 Ghz 256 Mb ram ThinkPad, and it works extremely well.

3. Dark Atheist

not bad - shame the ports is well out on it, so im near back to how it was when i had freebsd on there - kde is going take days!!!!! to compile :(

4. X-Istence

Eh? What do you mean the ports is well out on it? Your sentence is not making sense at all.

5. Dark Atheist

the version of software that ships with pc bsd - is old, if you check it against a fresh ports tree, there is so much i have to build to get it up to date

6. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

pc-bsd is freebsd made all pretty. just run portsnap and go

7. Dark Atheist

i have and have near 100 packages to update :p

8. X-Istence

That will always happen with an desktop OS, they can't just go updating willy nilly what they want, and create a new version release.

From the main CD, you can do updates to 1.4.1.1 which contains updated kernels and newer software.

For the tinkerer like you, PC-BSD will be like any other FreeBSD distribution. A whole lot of compiling. For those that want a stable desktop, it is a great alternative to Ubuntu.

9. Dark Atheist

yip i d/l 300meg of updates first - pc 1.4.1.1 - now im updating everything from ports :), looks and handles rather well, acpi is enabled by default in freebsd 5.x and above correct ? and seeing as this is based on freebsd 6 i should be able to boot normal and not have to select option 2 (disable acpi) because without that the laptop is a noisy bugger :p