PC Auto Shut Down, Virus?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by blue jose, Jun 28, 2006.

1. blue jose

blue jose member

Hi all,

I have just replaced new hardisk, before that my pc start up damn slow. Old hardisk been used for more than 5 yrs anyway. Suspected it's time to change new hardisk.

I have installed original Win XP Pro SP2 & other softwares to my pc. My problem is after using few days I encounter my pc will auto shut down with no reason. I suspect I brought virus from my office to my home pc as my office server's exe files attacked by virus. But when I scan using Norton Anti Virus, there is no virus found.

My pc just shutted down few mins ago. I really keen to know why. Anyone can help??
  2. iceman7311

iceman7311 OSNN Senior Addict

3. pokerblogger

pokerblogger OSNN Addict Folding Team

Check your power supply and CPU fans, make sure they're spinning smoothly and your box isn't overheating.
  4. blue jose

blue jose member

Thanks so much for the reply!

Just now when switched on my pc few minutes only it auto shut down again. So, guess tht it's not because of hardisk overheat as I touch hardisk is not warm at all. And, when I press the power button, pc has no response at all.

I have no choice but unplug & plug in the cable connected to power supply again & it works. Now while typing I still afraid it will auto shut down when I type half way. Sigh..headache

CPU fan is working. By the way, how to check power supply overheat or have problems? Can I add extra fan besides CPU fan?
  5. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Maybe you need to clean processor and apply a new slither of thermal grease.
  6. jrc04444

jrc04444 OSNN One Post Wonder

happened to me on my laptop..and it was a temp. problem...bought one of those external cooling docks.and no problems at all
  7. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

It maybe possible your new drive is drawing a little more power then your old drive and thus pushing your power supply over the edge.

The reason I quoted that specific blurb is removing the power plug is most likely reseting some sort of circuit breaker or protection circuit. I would first check your power connections for shorts, if that's fine then I would then try a better power supply. Just remember you can't judge a PSU's quality or power by wattage alone, you need to get a PSU with a good amperage ratings.