pay phone question

lancer said:
For me to risk a felony it would have to be at least 500k nothing less is really worth it. As even if you where arrested, say 5 yrs in prison that 500k will be worth about $80,000 in interest. with a good mutual fund.
Except the cops don't let you keep any of it if your caught (plus you'll pay out $ in fines). ;)

SPeedY_B said:
Hehe, everyone should remember cap'n'crunch and his 2600hz whistles :D
hehe phreaking .. led to the "hacker" group 2600 :)

according to that admittedly old link, that I posted, cap'n crunch might have something to do with the founding of apple.

Apple founders Steve Jobs and Stephen Wozniak, who was then a student at the University of California at Berkeley, were so impressed by the article that they sought out Draper. After getting in touch with Draper, legend has it he turned up at Wozniak's dormitory sporting an outlandish moustache and horn rim glasses who announced, "It is I!" A typically flamboyant entrance for Draper, who is well known for his manic intensity and insistent curiosity.

According to the International Herald Tribune, Draper schooled Wozniak and Jobs in the art of making their own 'blue boxes', electronic devices that allow users to gain free and illegal access to the phone network. Legend has it that the two novice entrepreneurs sold the blue boxes door-to-door on the Berkeley campus, several years before they founded Apple Computer.

now, if that story is true, I do believe that would give everybody some kind of legal standing and license to crack anything they want from apple.

of course, the defense would fail in court, but it would make interesting fodder to be sure.
anyone know if the story has been verified?

perris said:
now, if that story is true, I do believe that would give everybody some kind of legal standing and license to crack anything they want from apple.

How exactly?

Yeah, I remember them all. But I'm wondering why Gates and Woz haven't done any jail time when the other hackers of their time did...

One guy I knew actually bought a payphone and installed it for his kids to use. He was tired of them always tying up the phone line.

Hey Perris. When your "buddy" cracks a pay phone let us know how much it will actually hold.

They never ended up behind bars because they were probably careful or clever. It's easy to evade the law when you know what you're doing.

I think I remember something about the "blue boxes" in the movie, Pirates of Silicon Valley.

let's see if I remember my colors;

black box..this one was a resister 5600 which lowered the voltage when you picked up the phone so it wouldn't register as answered, and the caller didn't get charged

I think the red box was the one that toned the sound of coins...in the beginning, the operator just listened, so the frequenct wasn't critical, but then computers tool over, and the frequency had to be more precise

then I think was the blue box.

you would call an 800 number, and the right frequency would open up the trunk line as if you were an administrator for a t & t...then tone in the numbers you wanted to call.

I did that from ,memory, so I don't know if I got my colors right

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back