Password Protecting..

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by paul_43, Aug 21, 2002.

1. paul_43

paul_43 Guest

Hi all... is there a way to password protect a folder on the network with WINXP Pro? it not... is there any application will do the same thing for me?

2. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

Well yes there is a way to do in XP Pro. I've not messed with it but I will. But first how is your hard drive formated is it FAT32 or NTFS? The reason being is it makes a world of difference.

3. paul_43

paul_43 Guest

it's ntfs... hope it will make a good difference.. :D

4. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

Yes it makes a world of difference. Ok now I need a little info bout the network. Ok without knowing anything bout the network u have running I was able to find something along the lines of what u want to do. Said me a pm with an email address and I'll email you the info as its too big to post here

5. open_source

open_source Guest

Id running NTFS all you need to do is disable simple file sharing and then remove the accounts ( in the security properties of the folder) that you do not want to have access to this folder.

6. paul_43

paul_43 Guest

But what I want is to allow people who has the password to access it.. and I don't wanna allow specific account... anyone on anyone computer who has the password can access it..

7. elderec

elderec Guest

8. open_source

open_source Guest

Why not just setup an FTP server then?

9. paul_43

paul_43 Guest

... how can I set up FTP server? full details please..

10. open_source

open_source Guest

You can use IIS as an ftp but do not recommend it. Try using TypeSoft FTP Server. Very easy to configure.