password protecting shared resources

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by mystic, Apr 2, 2002.

1. mystic

mystic Guest

i am trying to find out how to password protect a shared resource file so i can get a friend to access the folder over the internet. they have mapped the folder so it shows as a network resource under my computer but i want to password it so no one else using their computer can access it does anyone know how to do this.

2. Epyon

Epyon Guest

Cant do that... You have to create a user account on your comp..

3. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

I would not recomend sharing files over the internet even if they are password protected. Even with a password on that one folder, there are still many backdoors a hacker can use to gain full access to your computer. NEVER use MS File sharing over the public internet.

JJB6486

4. Lactic.Acid

Lactic.Acid Guest

This isn't the same thing as MS File/Printer sharing, JJB. But Epyon is right, you can't password-protect one folder. Just share the folder over the internet, let your friend get it, then unshare it. If this is more of a permanent thing, install IIS FTP server only (it'll make you install the IIS core files too, just don't install the web server unless you research how to keep it somewhat secure) and create a user for your friend so he can FTP in, and just let him have read/write access to a sub-folder on your FTP site or something.
    /Lactic