Password protect mapped drive link, can I?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Heeter, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Hi Guys,

I would like to know how to password protect the mapped drive link in "My Computer", so when someone clicks on it they have to enter a password. This is on the workstation end, not in the file server tower. If need to I can do it from the file server tower. All machines are using XP Pro.

Thanks in advance.

Heeter

2. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

Use NTFS security permissions and user accounts to secure shares on XP/NT, this is how its done.

3. Heeter

Do I basically create a new user for each mapped drive?

How do I createNTFS security permissions?

Heeter

4. j79zlr

Create identical user accounts with passwords on all machines, then disable simple file sharing on the XP Pro boxes, then right click the folder/file and in the security tab, adjust permissions. Deny permissions override allow permissions. Network share permissions are granted by user name.

5. Heeter

There is only one machine for all users. (One machine for all users,workstation, and one machine for admin, file server-host)

Here is the situation. Store manager would like all assistant managers to have a secure, password protected folder on this single workstation computer. Each password potected folder is a actually a mapped drive that is connected to the managers machine. In essence, The manager can see what is in each folder in her file server machine, but the assistant managers can only see into their own password protected folders each on this one workstation, but can enjoy the rest of the workstations stuff on the same desktop.

Hopefully, you understand what I mean.

Heeter

6. j79zlr

Yes I understand, but what you should do is setup 2 accounts, one for the manager, and one for the assistant manager(s) on both PC's. Deny access to the folder(s) you want to for the assistatnt manager account, then they wouldn't be able to view the contents, but if the manager was logged in he could.