Partitions and XP

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by lazimutha, Feb 22, 2002.

1. lazimutha

lazimutha Guest

I am going to do a clean install of XP and I have 2 harddrives, one 30Gb and 4Gb. I am thinking of partitioning my HD and was wondering what the advantages of partitions are and what would be the best for my system. Any ideas? Thanks!
  2. Bootsy

Bootsy Huh?

Miami, Fl
    best for your hard drive space would probably be:
    c: 4 or 5 gigs for OS
    d:10+ gigs for programs
    e: rest for storage

...thats pretty much how i have mine set:
    c: 5 gigs OS
    d:15gigs proggies
    e: 10 gigs games n graphix stuff
    f: 30 gigs storage

2 hard drives: 20 and 40 WD 7200 rpm
  3. lazimutha

lazimutha Guest

Thanks for the info! So what made you want to partition your drive then? Any advantages over just one primary partition???
  4. Lukas

Lukas Real Name No Gimmicks

* multiple boot
    * scandisk doesn't take forever
    * defrag doesn't take forever
    * format doesn't take forever
    * order (apps there, os's there, mp's there, and docs there)
    * ability to take a back-up to another partition while formatting your primary partition
    * swap file optimization
    * etc...

* none I can think of... :D

5. Bootsy

Bootsy Huh?

Miami, Fl
    main reason i did it is so that WHEN (not if) the OS takes a dump and fu**s up on me....I won't lose anything =]
  6. lazimutha

lazimutha Guest

So if I had one partition for windows, and another partition for apps, and windows corrupted, would I have to reinstall all of the apps when i formatted and reinstalled windows? Also, does partitioning increase the performance of the computer??
  7. DarkSiege

DarkSiege Guest

Partitioning your hard drive just splits it into multiple "parts" so you can scan less files or defrag less if you only do it to one drive so it basically just organizes better. There isnt a big difference in performance I think...