Partitioning

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by DFX, Oct 25, 2002.

1. DFX

DFX OSNN Senior Addict

What's the best and easiest way to partiton my hard drive??

2. Mubbers

Mubbers Shoot! Political User

Buy Partition Magic 7.0 or even 8.0. (is that out now?)

I've been using PM 7.0 on XPH for a while now and it's great, no problems at all.

Do a search on this Forum and you'll see a fair bit about partitioning. Most people seem to favour PM 7 etc.. and there haven't been many criticisms.

Mubbers.

3. adek

adek Very xp-erianced

if you just want to add partitions you can use computer managment in admin tool, just choose disk managment then select the free space and then create.

4. allan

allan Guest

The easiest way is with XP's native utility during installation. You need to be more clear about exactly what you want to do. Do you want to partition and then install? Do you already have your system set up and need to change the existing settings non-destructively? Are you going to reformat? Is there currently unallocated space on your drive?

5. DFX

DFX OSNN Senior Addict

Do you already have your system set up and need to change the existing settings non-destructively? Are you going to reformat? Is there currently unallocated space on your drive?

Yes. Maybe. Yes.

Ive got 16GB left, and want to partition that so I can store about 12GB of documents, including assignments for college, etc.

Would this be the best way, seen as I don't want to install another copy of XP on the same computer.

6. adek

adek Very xp-erianced

this method will not destroy or damage any orignal data on the drive.

7. allan

allan Guest

If you have unallocated space then adek' suggestion is the best. Go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk Management and you can do what you want from there.