partition size

Originally posted by dealer

ha...I don't know anything at all about win 98...sorry
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------

to save space, the two os's can actually share the page file...a very good choice in this situation.
---------------------------------------------------------
:rolleyes:

quote:
-------------------------------------------
Originally posted by TwoZigzagColt45
Sorry guys but dealer was right
-------------------------------------------
this is like saying the water was wet

that wet water must have been a mirage
cos your in the middle of a drought

;)

Originally posted by NotBold_Fortune
I think, though, as far automaic file placement by Windows, that Windows only is concern is with it' s own files. .

that's a good thought, bold, but as I read the document, xp is optimizing all files...read the links, and tell me what you see

now, now, now, you wouldn't know how fast xp would have gotten by the time it finnished optimizing, would you...as far as optimizing manually, that's a differant story, two, you are probably putting the files where they should go in the first place, most people couldn't do that

by the time win xp gets the hdd correct the os is knackered
where exactly do files go in the first place????????:confused:

Originally posted by Goldy
partitions are fine

it does slow down performance a little but since i have just upgraded from a p1 166 to a p4 2ghz i cant really tell the difference

nice to see u colt

exactly my point...by he way...wellcome to this board, goldy...some great people, great personalities here...it looks like you're gonna fit right in:cool:

Originally posted by Goldy

...the os is knackered

I love that word knackerd...dirk uses that word, and he's from the original side of the pond...you too?

now, now, now, you wouldn't know how fast xp would have gotten by the time it finnished optimizing, would you...as far as optimizing manually, that's a differant story, two, you are probably putting the files where they should go in the first place, most people couldn't do that
is 6 x months enough ???
never bothered with the speed disk settings no need to :D

Originally posted by TwoZigzagColt45

is 6 x months enough ???
never bothered with the speed disk settings no need to :D

a good point...it should be optimized in a month or two...as I said, two, you are optimizing manually...that's differant then a program that's placing the files on the edge of the disc by rote...

and hehe...I just read that old qoute you found on one of my threads...I think I've been wrong more times then most of the folks here, but I do love using that saying...("...That's like saying water is wet...")...it's a good saying:D

"the original side of the pond"?!?

Tell that one to Tecumseh. LOL, dealer

if your going to use NTFS you should have a sys that can take the extra strain of running xp
NTFS is the best filing sys due to the fact that it can handle large files and can survive longer without a defrag....thus lasting longer in the hands of the blind
but both fat32 and fat16 are quicker at accessing the data stored on them
xp is a fine os with a few teething probs
but i have never upgraded to an os that didnt have any

ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE

Dealer you'd make a good salesmen - with the ability you have to sell things you know nothing about
;)

if you install all the progs you want onto the other partitions then back up your registry to 1 of your other partitions then you'll never have to install them again...if winxp gets screwed just re-install xp...restore the back up reg file and everythings the way it was..

Jumping back to what Goldy said on the last page; I used to think the same thing. The only problem I ran into when I tried to do that (back with Win2000) was that all the programs I installed that put any files under my root directory wouldn't run properly. When I would wipe my C:\ and reinstall... those files were lost and the programs would never run properly. Eventually I would get things running again, but it was a very pain-staking process. Also, you would have to go through and rebuild the start menu manually (unless you backed that up seperately, which I also tried)... Lots of work.

As for the size of your XP partition I'm using a 16GB, I used to have the same problem with that darned pop-up saying my C:\ was too small. I figured that a 10GB would work, but at some point I'd have to resize it again as well.

As for partitions in general I can see how it may slow the seek time a bit, but I don't know if it would be enought that anyone could notice. For backup purposed now I'm using Drive Image 2002 and store a current copy of my C:\ on my D:\. To do that I have to have a second partition as Drive Image won't let you backup or restore too-and-from the same partition. That has worked great for me to date, if I need to wipe my C:\ I'm up and running again in less than an hour and everything is perfect!

:D

The only thing that could be a problem for some is the space available on your HDD. I upgraded a little bit ago to 150GB and now that darned thing is almost full too! :eek:

Originally posted by Landrvr
Jumping back to what Goldy said on the last page; I used to think the same thing. The only problem I ran into when I tried to do that (back with Win2000) was that all the programs I installed that put any files under my root directory wouldn't run properly. When I would wipe my C:\ and reinstall... those files were lost and the programs would never run properly. Eventually I would get things running again, but it was a very pain-staking process. Also, you would have to go through and rebuild the start menu manually (unless you backed that up seperately, which I also tried)... Lots of work.
Dont know where Goldy gets his ideas from :rolleyes: the only advantage to that kind of backing up of the registy would be for your games - passwords & settings & Oh yeah all those tweaks.

I'm using two NTFS partitions and both take all of the respective space of their HDD's.

Originally posted by Goku
I'm using two NTFS partitions and both take all of the respective space of their HDD's.
not to sure what your tying to say - have you filled an NTFS volume with data ?

well pardon me for thinking that to partition a drive was to split a single hard disk drive into seperate volumes
:p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back