partition/format help!

forcer

OSNN Senior Addict
i am trying to format my HDD but theres alot of stuff that i need too keep but just takes too much space 2 back up so it would require alot of disks.

so i was wondering if this is possible.

partition my HDD and for example it seperates my hardrive into 2, Drive C: and F: . then i move the things that i want into F: and then format C:, install windows and the move everything back from F: to C: then format F: and remove the partition, would this work and stil act as a full format even though i'm formatting it in 2 parts?

thanx:happy:

Yes that would work ... but you would need enough free space to be able to create a partition large enough for all the stuff you want to keep ...... how much free space do you have at the moment?? and how much stuff (mb) do you need to keep? ....... why dont you create a partion for the stuff you want to keep ..... and then just format C: and leave the new partition as is ...... this is better because if in the future you need to format or do a clean install of the OS you wont have the bother of having to back up that stuff again?

Originally posted by Kermit
Yes that would work ... but you would need enough free space to be able to create a partition large enough for all the stuff you want to keep ...... how much free space do you have at the moment?? and how much stuff (mb) do you need to keep? ....... why dont you create a partion for the stuff you want to keep ..... and then just format C: and leave the new partition as is ...... this is better because if in the future you need to format or do a clean install of the OS you wont have the bother of having to back up that stuff again?

What the green guy said...

i think my HDD is full of errors and viruses and seems really laggy lately so i want to format the full lot to see if i can elliminate this, and on top of that its full of junk so a format is best for me.

i also dont want 2 partitions i want 1 HDD, my HDD is currently 40gig and i have nearly 7GIG free i can free more up and put everything i need in a folder say 'backup', partition my drive put the back up folder on say F: format C: put the 'backup' folder back on C: format F: remove the partition?

that sound about right?

Yes you can do that ..... its your choice of course ..... full of virusus? sounds nasty ( no AV software) ?......... yes you can make a folder and do what you said ...... it would be a simple task for a program like partition magic I really like that program

yeh i use ontrack fix it 4, and i think i'll be using partition magic thanx for ur help

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back