Pagefile?

Jestermask

WinTMBG Professional
So, pardon my ignorance...

What exactly does a pagefile DO? I figure the larger I make my pagefile max, the better performance I'll get.

Is this true? How come?

Thanks.

~JM

this is as good a non tech discription as you can find

as far as making it the max, once the pagefile is the right size, increasing the size will not give you benenfit.

a great setting is 2x ram, leave expansion enabled to what ever xp lets you make it, and you should be fine

I also found this microsft document, originally written for nt...later, microsoft recognized that pagefiles too small were causing great performance problems, and therefore, set the default pagefile bigger in xp...this is very important for everyone, especially those who think a small pagefile is a good idea...xp is by design made to perform with a big pagefile...here is the exact qoute from microsofr, as far as making a pagefile too big, versus too small in the nt kernal;

"...A pagefile that's set too small can lead to overactive disk swapping, or "disk thrashing." The only real drawback with a relatively large swapfile is that you might not have as much disk space available for other uses as you would if you'd followed the pagefile setup recommendations."...

so, obviously, back when nt first appeared, harddrive space was a rare commodity, and ms was trying to conserve same, as report to us, absolutely counterproductive when harddrive space is not an issue...in other words, you can make the pf large, but never ever make the pf smaller then the default.

the default in xp, is NO LESS THEN 1.5 RAM, WITH EXPANSION ENABLED TO 3X THE 1.5 FIGURE, ( this is the default)

Page file

For Page file ,read "virtual memory"
multiply your Ram memory by 2 for large amounts and 2.5 for small.
Ie, 256 Mb Ram would need page file of 512 mb , see system properties / advanced /performance and set one value in the least used partition for max performance.

Techie

For most people the first encounter with the pagefile is when XP runs out of virtual memory.

The size of the pagefile, is really dependant on the software you use & how you use it.

A little bit of photo editing puts you in the *Power users* bracket where a 2.5 x RAM pagefile might not be enough

my tip for day
*don't disable balloon tips*
some of the messages are actually useful :)

LowVM.JPG

hypnoeyes[1].gif

TwoZigzagColt45

The size of the pagefile, is really dependant on the software you use & how you use it.

A little bit of photo editing puts you in the *Power users* bracket where a 2.5 x RAM pagefile might not be enough

my tip for day
*don't disable balloon tips*
some of the messages are actually useful :)

great post, 2z

Originally posted by RogerPhillis
For Page file ,read "virtual memory"
multiply your Ram memory by 2 for large amounts and 2.5 for small.
Ie, 256 Mb Ram would need page file of 512 mb , see system properties / advanced /performance and set one value in the least used partition for max performance.

Techie

the settings you are using might be enough, but they might not as well...it is very important for users to make sure expansion is still enabled when you set your pagefile.

it is a good idea to increase the initial minimum to more then the initial minimum default, as this cannot possibly be bad, but in so doing, you must make sure the operating system has the ability to provide more, if your needs so require

also, it is most important to defrag the pagefile, after you make these adjustments...this is done most easily with the free pagefile defrag program posted on the free programs thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back