Pagefile Problem...irritating

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by SessedOut, Apr 24, 2002.

1. SessedOut

SessedOut Guest

I just formatted my comp a couple days ago. Before I formatted, I had my pagefile dedicated to one partition E:\ and thus was able to remove the pagefile off the system drive C:\. Well, now that I have formatted I can't seem to get rid of the one on C:\. I have set the thing numerous times to No Paging File and it still pops up. Now I have two pagefiles totalling 1.4GB! And I think it's bottlenecking my system cuz stuff is running slower than before. Does anyone know what I can do to force the pagefile off C:\? Did I need to format E:\ along with C:\? I would appreciate any help! Thanks...

2. allan

allan Guest

This is a longshot, but worth a try.

Go to System Properties, Advanced, Startup & Recover, and change Write Memory Dump to "none". Then Reboot and then try to disable the paging file on c:.

It may or may not work - but it will not hurt anything.

3. SessedOut

SessedOut Guest

hey allan,
    thanks for the help and suggestion. unfortunately it didn't work. when i rebooted it created a new pagefile on C:\. oh well, i guess it was luck the last time haha. that's one thing about microsoft i don't like...options that seem to have good intentions but never work. oh well...take care man.

4. allan

allan Guest

Recently saw a similar issue on another site and we couldn't work it out there either. It seems that sometimes xp wants a paging file on the boot sector (the sector where XP is installed). I know it's a pain, but at least it's nothing harmful - sorry.