page file on a slave drive?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by HellyHans, Mar 8, 2007.

1. HellyHans

HellyHans OSNN Addict

Hi, well this is my system
    xp sp2
    1 gb of ocz platinum ram
    athlon 64 x2

Now my question concerning the page file is..
    I've read the .zip file that was on this forum explaining virtual memory... very good write up.

What I need to know is.. My primary HD is a 320 gb sata2 drive, and i was thinking of putting my 20gb IDE as slave for it to manage the page file.
    Is this possible and is it recommended?

both drives are 7200 rpm, and its for sure that my read/write timings of my sata drive are faster than my IDE, would this setup be better than setting up manually my page file on my sata drive?

right now I have 2gb allocated with a maximum of 4gb of virtual memory.

Thank you

2. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Leave your page file on the windows drive and set it to system managed. Then leave it alone.

3. HellyHans

HellyHans OSNN Addict

I always thought setting up your virtual memory is always better than system managed?

I know XP does a good job of managing memory, so I thought it wouldn't give me enought virtual memory when I would need it.

4. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

I have drive f (a partition) around 4 gb, thats where I put my swap/page file.

5. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

I don't know anything about vista but if it's anything like xp, leaving it on the system drive is only best if all you have is one physical drive, if you have a seperate drive that isn't too active the pagefile should probably go there as well as the system drive, leaving it system managed on both drives

the os should use the least active physical drive for the pagefile and only writes data to the pagefile that isn't already on a disc somewhere...new data is the only thing that goes onto a pagefile

do NOT however do this splitting pagefiles thing on partitions, that will slow your system down, we're talking about physical drives only

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
    NetRyder likes this.
  6. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

M$ (from what I read) recommends putting at least half the file on windows drive.

7. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

ya, that's true, they also recomend splitting the file among all your physical drives (NOT logical drives, that slows everything down)

here's what you're trying to accomplish;

you want the os to be able to write to the pagefile if it wants to, but without interfereing with other hardrive writes.

when the os needs the system pagefile on "c" it will use that...(mostly dump files by the way), when the system can use a less frequently accessed drive it will use that...pretty sophisitcated...you want to avoid writes waiting in cue

once again, the pagefile is only there for newly aquired data that has no other image the os can access

all files act as their own pagefile, the os retreives data from existing images, however when there is no image of data that has been aquired in memory the system creates that image so it can re load the information if it needs to

this way if that data needs to be released it can be safely discarded because the os will be able to reload from the pagefile

that's all the pagefile is, a file to write data that doesn't otherwise exist anywhere but memory

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  8. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

I never noticed a difference moving the pagefile to another drive.