packages or compile everything? - freebsd

Discussion in 'Linux & BSD' started by Dark Atheist, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

as kde is taking an age to compile on my little test laptop (p4 1.8ghz) are there times when pkg_add -r package is ok, as i have been advised to compile everything

2. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

FreeBSD = Ports :)

3. Dark Atheist

yes i have the ports tree, and most things i have compiled, its just kde is taking ages (18 hours so far)

4. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

KDE is a beast, as is gnome. pkg_add will work, however you will most likely get out of date packages.

Your best bet is to go with a lighter weight window manager, like XFCE, Enlightenment and others.

5. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

Gnome should only take a few hours on that machine depending on whether or not X11 is already installed. The main reason I quit using KDE is because I run source based OS either Gentoo or FreeBSD, and it would take a good day to compile on even a fast system.

6. Dark Atheist

yes i have used xfce before not bad looking, this is a p4 1.8 laptop with a 5400rpm drive in it and 1gb ram - not the fastest thing in the world, and after trying to compile kde (and all the deps it wants) i think i may use xfce or some other manager, yes x11 is in that too took a little time

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007