P2P programs locking net access

RagnaroK

Must be dreaming...
Yo fellow OSNNians,
I was recently greeted with a weird problem concerning specific P2P programs I use and them seemingly locking my net access. I wanted to download a few game demos through Azureus (a Java based bittorrent client) and eDonkey2000, but after like about 10 minutes, downloading/uploading comes to a halt. Both programs "state" that I still have sources, but nothing is coming through. I then decide to launch IE to see if the net still actually works or whether it was an outage or something, but the window stares at me blankly with the words "Detecting proxy settings" stuck to the status bar.

So far the only solution is a hard reset, because even the Start/Shutdown/Restart doesn't work, which is weird. I recently scanned my computer for virii using NAV2003 with latest definitions... nothing, and ran Spybot and Adaware, with nothing but a few small tracking cookies and stuff. I also ran HijackThis and I looked over the list, but nothing out of the ordinary seemed to appear. If you want, I can post my HijackThis log later.

I really have no idea what's going on. It was working a few weeks ago... but yeh. Can anyone shed some light on the situation? Thanks. :cool:

Interesting since I've been having same problems. I was using 2.0.8.4 and yesterday I was downloading a couple files at speeds over 300kbs and I was getting disconnect numerous times and I kept un/replugging the modem to restart the connection with my ISP as it was disconnecting me totally from my ISP. So its not a virus or you haven't been hijacked. I've gone back to 2.0.7.0 and it seems to have helped. Azureus 2.0.8.4 has had problems with disconnections from what I've read at some of the forums. I lowered my Max Number of Connections from 40 to 20 and I was still getting D/C'd.. I know with cable they throttle the bandwidth so certain customers ( :rolleyes: ) aren't hogging all the juice.

FileSoup
(you'll need to register)

napalmnthemorning said:
Interesting since I've been having same problems. I was using 2.0.8.4 and yesterday I was downloading a couple files at speeds over 300kbs and I was getting disconnect numerous times and I kept un/replugging the modem to restart the connection with my ISP as it was disconnecting me totally from my ISP. So its not a virus or you haven't been hijacked. I've gone back to 2.0.7.0 and it seems to have helped. Azureus 2.0.8.4 has had problems with disconnections from what I've read at some of the forums. I lowered my Max Number of Connections from 40 to 20 and I was still getting D/C'd.. I know with cable they throttle the bandwidth so certain customers ( :rolleyes: ) aren't hogging all the juice.

FileSoup
(you'll need to register)
Interesting... I'm kinda relieved that it isn't the work of viruses or anything serious. Thanks for the link... I have a look later.
Just want to confirm something though... what firewall are you using (if any at all)?

Sounds like a socket problem. This happens a lot when using ed2k. The ed2k protocol doesn't play too well with the clients connecting and disconnecting so fast. See how everything goes when you aren't running ed2k/emule/etc. You could also try setting the number of simultaneus connections to a lower value. Setting this too low could give you bad transfer rates though.

Azureus 2.0.8.4 has been working great for me for a long time and it has been working great for a lot of people for a while.

vern said:
Sounds like a socket problem. This happens a lot when using ed2k. The ed2k protocol doesn't play too well with the clients connecting and disconnecting so fast. See how everything goes when you aren't running ed2k/emule/etc. You could also try setting the number of simultaneus connections to a lower value. Setting this too low could give you bad transfer rates though.

Azureus 2.0.8.4 has been working great for me for a long time and it has been working great for a lot of people for a while.
Hmm, I running ed2k and Azureus for a while now, and everything seemed ok... I've only been having problems up to about a week or two ago. This leads me to suggest that something else might be interfering with Azureus and ed2k. Most likely something net related... something maybe I updated recently... maybe my firewall perhaps? That's why I asked napalmnthemorning to see what firewall he's using to see if I can find a connection and possible solution to the problem. Thanks for replying though napalmnthemorning and vern. :)

ISPs have begun filtering the ports used by P2P services to cut down bandwidth usage. It could be your ISP playing games. Give them a call. Or try shifting to another port if possible.

My latest P2P nuisance is ARES, good P2P but they have unlimited upload rate of whatever is in your download que. Brings my network connection to a crawl by consuming all my (puny 12kBs) upload bandwidth.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back